• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tuesday NFL Cuts

Jeremy Igo

I actually think it's the other way around, if we're looking for a veteran WR a team is more likely to cut a vet today to give him a better chance at finding another team before the season starts.

I wouldn't let a decent vet go until I had made it through that last pre-season game. If your team got unlucky and had an injury to that position, you'd be SOL by letting a good replacement go. Good GMs don't let good potential resources walk out the door before they have to. Early cuts are rarely, if ever, because a good guy GM wants a quality player to have a shot at another team. 

I wouldn't let a decent vet go until I had made it through that last pre-season game. If your team got unlucky and had an injury to that position, you'd be SOL by letting a good replacement go. Good GMs don't let good potential resources walk out the door before they have to. Early cuts are rarely, if ever, because a good guy GM wants a quality player to have a shot at another team. 

Yeah, I just meant a veteran I don't think we'll be seeing any decent or worth a damn vets being released. Gettleman's going to have to make a REAL trade if he wants any shot at trying to at least patch up this problem at WR

our receiver corps is in this shape and we're letting boykin go? oye vey.

this post completely conveys the issue with people taking issue over Boykin's release.

You can't have it both ways.

You can say: "our WR are poo. oh we cut our 5/6th best one, oh well."

You can say: "We have good WR competition and Boykin could have really made an impact, sucks we cut him."

You can't be mad that our WRs suck and that we cut the 6th best of them. That's not how this works, that's not how any of this works. 

this post completely conveys the issue with people taking issue over Boykin's release.

You can't have it both ways.

You can say: "our WR are poo. oh we cut our 5/6th best one, oh well."

You can say: "We have good WR competition and Boykin could have really made an impact, sucks we cut him."

You can't be mad that our WRs suck and that we cut the 6th best of them. That's not how this works, that's not how any of this works. 

what's even worse is that based on what counts the most so far, performing in pads against other teams, Boykin has been our BEST WR so far this year. I was never particularly high on Boykin, and was pretty meh about the signing but he has been our best WR so far and the preseason performances gave me a sliver of hope that we might just be serviceable at WR this year. Now its's gonna take Funchess having a KB like rookie year (not hardly likely) and Brown not only getting over these mental blocks he's going through right now, but actually improving over last year (possible, but not looking good so far).

what's even worse is that based on what counts the most so far, performing in pads against other teams, Boykin has been our BEST WR so far this year. I was never particularly high on Boykin, and was pretty meh about the signing but he has been our best WR so far and the preseason performances gave me a sliver of hope that we might just be serviceable at WR this year. Now its's gonna take Funchess having a KB like rookie year (not hardly likely) and Brown not only getting over these mental blocks he's going through right now, but actually improving over last year (possible, but not looking good so far).

Not true re: Boykin.  I'll post stats from 3 preseason games soon.

Correction and apologies.  My bad.  It IS true re: Boykin. I had an error in my spreadsheet formula that had Ginn's figures too high.  Stay tuned.

Our staff studies these guys every day...  When it comes to football, they know more about each guy than any fan can pretend to know.  That doesnt mean they are always right.  But they have to go by what they see day in and day out.  Just because Boykin has made some catches in the preseason doesnt mean he is our best WR.  What about when he doesnt get the ball?  Is he running the right routes and doing what the coaches want him to do?  Can he be counted on to consistently do the right thing?  Sometimes, the bad outweighs the good.. It's probably why so many people cant understand why our staff likes Cotchery.  He doesnt make the splash plays, but they probably dont have to worry that he's gonna screw Cam's progressions up.

Who knows if they made the right decision? Maybe they made a mistake.  But you have to assume that Boykin was unable to do what the coaches needed him to do on a consistent basis.

OK, here are the stats on receptions in the first 3 season games.  Boykin did have the most yards, yet he also had the most targets.  Other receivers had a higher reception %:

PlayerGames PlayedTARRECRec %YDSAvgLGTD
J.Boykin319947%9310.3500
G.Olsen3141071%878.7470
T.Ginn38563%8316.6660
M.Lucas35480%6716.8600
B.Bersin37343%5919.7591
D.Byrd27571%5811.6301
M.Brown311545%5811.6150
D.Funchess14250%5326.5340
B.Wegher33267%4723.5471
S.Simonson255100%408.0220
J.Cotchery25480%389.5180