• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tuesday Panthers Cuts....

Jeremy Igo

INJURED RESERVE
POSPLAYEREXPCOLLEGE
WRKelvin Benjamin2Florida State
WAIVED
POSPLAYEREXPCOLLEGE
WRJarrett Boykin4Virginia Tech
DTKenny Horsley1Mesabi Range CC
SRobert Lester3Alabama
WRDe'Andre Presley1Appalachian State
WAIVED/INJURED
POSPLAYEREXPCOLLEGE
OTDavonte Wallace1New Mexico State
CBMelvin White3Louisiana-Lafayette
WAIVED/INJURY SETTLEMENT
POSPLAYEREXPCOLLEGE
DTMicanor Regis1Miami (Fla.)

Here's the relevant text accompanying the table in the article:

CHARLOTTE – Cornerback Melvin White and safety Robert Lester – players with starting experience for the Panthers – and wide receiver Jarrett Boykin are among seven players waived by Carolina to get down to the 75-man roster limit.

The team also placed wide receiver Kelvin Benjaminicon-article-link.gif, who suffered a season-ending knee injury two weeks ago, on injured reserve.

[...]

White as well as offensive tackle Davonte Wallace were waived/injured. White suffered a hamstring injury in Friday's preseason game, and Wallace has been sidelined by a concussion for a couple of weeks.

White, signed by the Panthers as a college free agent following the 2013 NFL Draft, played in 30 games with 17 starts over the last two seasons, recording 80 tackles and three interceptions. White was a starter at the beginning of last season but came off the bench for eight of the final nine games.

Bene Benwikereicon-article-link.gif took over as starter down the stretch, and the Panthers signed veteran cornerback Charles Tillmanicon-article-link.gif in the offseason.

Lester also signed as a college free agent and played a major role in 2013, recording 21 tackles and three interceptions while playing in 12 games with four starts. Last season, however, Lester spent seven games on the practice squad and played in just one game.

Boykin, a Charlotte native, spent his first three seasons with the Green Bay Packers before signing with the Panthers in March. He paced Carolina's wide receivers with nine receptions for 93 yards in the preseason. The Panthers traded for wide receiver Kevin Norwoodicon-article-link.gif, a 2014 fourth-round draft choice by the Seattle Seahawks, on Monday.

I wasn't referring to the cutting of Boykin, fancy pants, I was referring to the possibility of him bringing in Boykin in the first place, particularly if Boykin didn't receive any work with Cam.

BTW, Gettleman is coming to the realization which I said all along, which is that the receiving corps needs an upgrade. Fancy that.

Yes, they are in fact quite fancy. Thank you.

Well, hopefully Norwood can turn into a stud for us.

For two straight years it's been like that.  I just don't get it.  Granted, if KB was healthy we would all be happy with the status quo right now.  

Not me. I am the wide receiver fanatic, Nazi, or whatever foolish term that tiger called me last month.  For years I have complained about the lack of depth in the receiving corps and what would happen if our main guy went down (mostly when 89 was here, but one time in reference to KB). I am largely tired of looking at the Green Bays and Colts of the world with their wealth at the position and us with JAGs. I can even make a case for the Broncos, Steelers, 49ers,  Eagles, and a few other teams.  Having at least three WR2 caliber receivers---or at least those with that kind of upside---on a team makes a huge difference when you are beset by injuries.

Here's a list of all our transactions in one place, since the list I posted above only includes today's transactions:

Here are the cuts:

Carolina Panthers

Cuts: 

WR Jarrett Boykin,

OT Tony Hills,

WR Paul Browning,

WR Avius Capers,

DE Steve Miller,

LB Kevin Reddick,

TE Dallas Walker,

FB Lee Ward,

P Matt Wile,

DT Kenny Horsley,

S Robert Lester,

WR/CB De'Andre Presley

Waived / Injury Settlement:

Micanor Regis

To Injured Reserve:

Kelvin Benjamin to Injured Reserve; 

Waived / Injured:  (meaning these can be added to IR if they clear waivers)

Melvin White

Davonte Wallace

So, that's 16 subtractions, to make room for adding Kevin Norwood, leaving a total of 75 active.

Yes, I was about to ask the same thing.  Presumably if no one picks White or Davonte Wallace off of waivers we could IR therm, just as we did with Frank Alexander.

But I'm not an expert...

I'm pretty confused that we were able to IR Benjamin but had to waive/injure White and Wallace. Voth thinks we did it because we don't care if they're claimed, but that doesn't add up as then we would have reached a settlement with them a la Regis. 

Look at Jacksonville, they cut down to 75 early and then were able to IR Fowler and Wells 3 days ago. They had to cut to 75 first then IR those guys, leaving them at 73. So I don't think it's just a timing thing. With 89 active, we had to cut 14, which we did, plus a 15th in Presley even though we didn't have to. 

That WOULD be 75, but then we added Norwood, so then that's 76 before sending Kelvin to IR. Per my Jacksonville example, it doesn't seem like that would be allowed. Best I can figure is we have a temporary waiver for Norwood, and he didn't count toward our roster count just yet. 

Archived