• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Norwood the 6th WR or will he replace Bersin/Boykin?

Jeremy Igo

For all the hype about Boykin around here, you have to wonder why he hasn't gotten more opportunities with the 1st team in preseason.

until you remember who the coaching staff is and that Norwell couldn't get into a game last year until injuries forced him. 

what should happen?  if he takes a spot from someone it should be Bersin.

what will happen?  if he takes a spot it will be Boykins

Bersin IMO will be viewed as the safe calm approach.  He knows the playbook and unlike the other 2 they can throw him out there on special teams to fumble kicks if they wanted.

That and hehas great hands and size.

I love this trade. Norwood was a wishlist guy in the draft and he impressed in preseason with natural hand and route running which he did well in college with. 

A Funchess-Norwood-Boykin-Ginn foursome is decent.  

Norwood's signing may be Corey's demise...but Boykin will prob be cut also. 

I'm not going to try and predict without even seeing Norwood play a snap.  Question, are any of the 3 Bs (Bersin, Boykin, C. Brown) PS eligible?  Could we stash one of them there for a few weeks until we see how Norwood fits with Cam?

For me I have three locks to make our roster:

- Funchess, no explanation needed.

- Ginn, he was brought back to help our return game and because he has good chemistry with Cam.

- Cotchery, he's a well liked veteran with good hands, route running, and is generally a dependable and reliable possession receiver.

After these three guys it becomes difficult to separate the rest. Bersin has been solid, but not spectacular. Corey has been frustratingly inconsistent with his drops. Boykin has shown flashes but not had much opportunity, if any, with the 1s. Byrd and Mike Brown have talent, but not really done enough [yet].

I suspect Bersin and Corey have the edge at this time because they are familiar to our offense, but one of them may not make it, because from what we've seen of Boykin, he should make the roster. But it wouldn't surprise me to see Corey and Bersin slot in at #4 and #5 on the depth chart, with the new guy Norwood being the #6 and final receiver on the depth chart. Since I don't see Gettleman trading for a receiver this late if he didn't see him making the roster because he sees something in him.

My 6 receivers would be: Funchess, Ginn, Cotchery, Boykin, Norwood, Bersin/Brown.

My prediction for them will be: Funchess, Ginn, Cotchery, Bersin, Brown, Norwood.

I'm thinking that there has to be something seen in him for Gettleman to pull the trigger. I mean, this is his first traded for player, so he has to feel strongly about it. Or, maybe, we're just in a situation where we have no other options, and we're staring down the barrel of the regular season.

IMO, it's looking like: Funchess, Ginn, Philly, Cotchery, Bersin, Norwood as the 5 we'll carry on a game to game basis. I doubt Boykin latches on, seeing as how he's gotten almost no playing time comparatively. 

This is Gettleman's only player trade as a GM. 

One has to think this kid has a roster spot for Gman to initiate his first trade. 

Either that or Gman sees it as a no-brainer to try him out with really no risk. But I still agree that Gman must feel some kinda way for him to pull the trigger, which is outta character. 

They cut Boykin and he'll be picked up quickly. They cut bersin and he'll be mowing Richardsons grass.

I just don't understand do the coaches not see how Boykin played the first 2 games. Or are they holding it against him that he has a few drops in practice. But he ain't dropped any during a game which can't be said for some of the others

Archived