• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Very good game by Cam

CelibatePimp

Let's be fair, Cam wasn't bad, but Cam wasn't that good, either.

Cam completed 60% of his passes for 160 yds, 1 TD, and zero interceptions.

If the 5 passes that were blatantly dropped had been caught, he would have completed 78% of his passes for over 200 yds, 2 TDs, and zero interceptions.

But, yeah, he "wasn't that good either".

Some of those drops were on him as much as the receiver.

LOL some of you guys are too damned obvious. 

Being "fair" to Cam isn't even in your vocabulary.

Let's be fair, Cam wasn't bad, but Cam wasn't that good, either. Some of those drops were on him as much as the receiver.

He did okay, not great.

Regular season can't get here fast enough.

that pass to Brown was an ELITE pass. He couldn't place the ball any better. I couldn't ask for more from Cam Tonight considering it was evident he had no interest in running. He took some sacks that will not happen in the regular season. Boykin is going to step in to be this year's Brown in my opinion  

Can we talk about the lack of YAC this offense produces? One of the reasons this offense will be choppy at best is because everything in the passing game comes off the right arm of Newton.

No wonder Newton doesn't throw short. If he does we'll be in a lot of 3rd and 7.

Can we talk about the lack of YAC this offense produces? One of the reasons this offense will be choppy at best is because everything in the passing game comes off the right arm of Newton.

No wonder Newton doesn't throw short. If he does we'll be in a lot of 3rd and 7.

I've been harping on it since the beginning of last season. Shula is terrible at play design. YAC comes from designing your plays to leave a man in either 1-on-1 matchups where they just have to catch it and shake the man on them, or by designing the plays to leave a man in open space (10 yard radius from any defender). Shula does not design his plays as such. A lot of squatty routes where receivers are hit immediately or out routes to the sideline. The occasional seam route, where you're guaranteed to have a man both behind and underneath the receiver. Every play doesn't need to produce YAC. However, you should be trying to get guys in open space to make plays. That's why the dynamic offenses are dynamic. OC's who know what they're doing.

Cam completed 60% of his passes for 160 yds, 1 TD, and zero interceptions.

If the 5 passes that were blatantly dropped had been caught, he would have completed 78% of his passes for over 200 yds, 2 TDs, and zero interceptions.

But, yeah, he "wasn't that good either".

LOL some of you guys are too damned obvious. 

Being "fair" to Cam isn't even in your vocabulary.

Preach!!!

I can't remember a preseason game where he's looked any better. Excellent game. 

Some of his worse throws I couldn't figure out if they were throwaways or not. 

It'd be one thing if Brown had a few drops but he did so poorly I really just feel sorry for him. I hope he can still have a fruitful career after this horrifying preseason. 

I've been harping on it since the beginning of last season. Shula is terrible at play design. YAC comes from designing your plays to leave a man in either 1-on-1 matchups where they just have to catch it and shake the man on them, or by designing the plays to leave a man in open space (10 yard radius from any defender). Shula does not design his plays as such. A lot of squatty routes where receivers are hit immediately or out routes to the sideline. The occasional seam route, where you're guaranteed to have a man both behind and underneath the receiver. Every play doesn't need to produce YAC. However, you should be trying to get guys in open space to make plays. That's why the dynamic offenses are dynamic. OC's who know what they're doing.

It has got to be a play design thing. Doesn't matter who we have at WR, defenders are always in great position to make the tackle and rarely are WRs wide open. It looks like all we is line up and run routes with the goal of getting someone open. But in better passing offenses the thing I notice is that the OC will use other WRs to clear out or free up other WRs for easier catches and more run.

But I also free it is a lack of talent on offense and Newton could do a better job of leading WRs/throwing in front of them so they can stay upright and run.

But if this offense continues to be a "catch and down" offense, we will continue to struggle to score TDs and continue to be inconsistent. We should not be relying on Newton for every single yard in the passing game. OC/pass catchers need to step up and make plays.

See, this is one of the reasons why you have to be careful evaluating a quarterback in preseason.

Newton is a QB who can sometimes start games a little off but who gets better as the games go on.

Tonight, he played long enough for you to actually see that.  In prior games, he exited early.

Archived