• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does Ron Favor Vets Over Rookies?

KB_fan

On practically every thread discussing the potential roster, or threads about rookies who have the fans excited (Wegher, Ward, Byrd...) various commenters will invariably chime in "yeah this rookie is playing great, but we know Ron loves his veterans."  It's treated as a given around here.

The question is, is it true?

I looked at all 20 years of Panthers rosters and analyzed the % of rookies on the roster, the % of rookies playing, the % of rookies starting each year.  The data may surprise you.

You can find all the analysis in my latest blog entry.  See what you make of it!

One thing I hope to do as a follow up is to compare the % of rookies we've been starting in various years versus that of other teams...

I've also been looking at the correlation between the level of experience of a given roster and our win-loss record.  I'll post this next week as we get closer to our 53 man roster for this year...

Can't say if Ron favors veterans but I know he values the leadership veterans bring. You have to have some veterans spread throughout the roster to help the younger guys.

I totally agree Daddy_Uncle with both points.  Some vets like Cotch bring more than just their play on the field.  It's obvious that leadership is a really high priority to Ron and the other coaches.

Also, we seem to be a team that wins more when we have more experience on the roster, so some vets are definitely needed.  I'll be posting more on this in the next few days.

I wish that you posted this earlier in the week, I'm afraid it will get lost in the numerous gameday overreaction threads tonight.

Great work KB fan. 

Thanks Cracka.  I knew that this could get lost in the shuffle, but earlier in the week I couldn't find time to get this posted.  I'm not ashamed to bump it as needed, or keep linking it on threads as we discuss possible & actual roster cuts!  LOL. 

I've got a couple of ideas for further research on this theme.  I'd welcome feedback as to what would most interest Huddlers:

1) Comparing % of rookies playing & starting in 2011 - 2014 for the Panthers versus other teams.  How does Ron compare with other coaches?

2) Looking to see the success rate of rookies playing in terms of whether they stick on the Panthers active roster in the following seasons?  This could help evaluate the "Gettleman effect" - are we drafting / signing BETTER rookies (meaning we are playing more rookies because we have more who are good).

3) Looking at when / why rookies are starting under Ron vs. the other coaches?  Is it just that Ron has been "forced" to play them due to injuries to key players?

I've got a couple of ideas for further research on this theme.  I'd welcome feedback as to what would most interest Huddlers:

1) Comparing % of rookies playing & starting in 2011 - 2014 for the Panthers versus other teams.  How does Ron compare with other coaches?

2) Looking to see the success rate of rookies playing in terms of whether they stick on the Panthers active roster in the following seasons?  This could help evaluate the "Gettleman effect" - are we drafting / signing BETTER rookies (meaning we are playing more rookies because we have more who are good).

3) Looking at when / why rookies are starting under Ron vs. the other coaches?  Is it just that Ron has been "forced" to play them due to injuries to key players?

Those all seem good, and at face value I can already tell you that #2 is correct. The only player we have left over from the 2011 draft is Cam Newton. No one from 10, no one from 09 left. 

Rivera has assembled a good staff of teachers to be his coaches (minus Shula). Ever since he's been our coach we've had a youth movement happening and we've been able to compete. 

Philly is a great example of Ron's unique/odd stubbornness.  He was likely set the moment KB went down that Philly would be the "guy".  

Then last night he let a garbage WR steal reps from other WRs we should of been looking at.  Even last year, it was evident he doesn't catch the ball well at all....yet Ron will convince himself this is a new temporary issue

Philly is a great example of Ron's unique/odd stubbornness.  He was likely set the moment KB went down that Philly would be the "guy".  

Then last night he let a garbage WR steal reps from other WRs we should of been looking at. 

No doubt that Ron has a stubborn streak and values loyalty.  I don't think all the reps given to Corey last night will ultimately detract from fairly evaluating the other WRs on the team.  I think they have a pretty good idea what each can do.  Corey DOES get open and that has been a weakness for our offense, so I can understand some patience with him, and Ron et al wanting to try and turn him into a starter.

But let's not turn this into another Corey Brown thread.  There are already about 10 of those!

In spite of his loyalty to players who have worked hard in the past, Ron HAS shown he will make changes, Maybe he has made those changes later than we fans would like, but last year he proved his willingness to overhaul the roster and keep trying new players - especially rookies - when the team was not succeeding.  Maybe this is one of the qualities that has the players so strongly behind him.  They know he gives players a fair shake.  He's loyal, but he does demand success?  To my way of thinking, it's a good mix.

No doubt that Ron has a stubborn streak and values loyalty.  I don't think all the reps given to Corey last night will ultimately detract from fairly evaluating the other WRs on the team.  I think they have a pretty good idea what each can do.  Corey DOES get open and that has been a weakness, so I can understand Ron et al wanting to try and turn him into a starter.

But let's not turn this into another Corey Brown thread.  There are already about 10 of those!

In spite of his loyalty to players who have worked hard in the past, Ron HAS shown he will make changes, Maybe he has made those changes later than we fans would like, but last year he proved his willingness to overhaul the roster and keep trying new players - especially rookies - when the team was not succeeding.  Maybe this is one of the qualities that has the players so strongly behind him.  They know he gives players a fair shake.  He's loyal, but he does demand success?  To my way of thinking, it's a good mix.

Ron gives some dudes a comical long leash IMO.  

Dudes that don't deserve the long one. 

Archived