• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam and Suh - A Tale of Two Sites

Jeremy Igo

So after practice yesterday, Cam and Suh had a fairly long conversation in which they shook hands and talked for a while. As Suh left to go back to the huddle, Cam was cracking jokes about some of the nicer.... scenery.... Miami has to offer and how Suh had it made down there. I snapped a picture, didn't think much of it. Just seemed like two guys talking to me, probably why I am not a reporter. 

Two sites that cover the Panthers picked up on it and wrote about it. 

http://blackandbluereview.com/cam-newton-conversation-with-ndamukong-suh/

and

http://espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/15118

Now you tell me, which one most accurately depicts what I just told you happened and which one seems to have a slightly negative agenda towards Cam? 

David's interview process must have been like this...

David: I'm not really a football guy more like NASCAR. Do I need to actually know about football?

ESPN: Nope

David: Well what exactly am I supposed to do then?

ESPN: Drum up drama for site hits and viewership. 

David: So report the positive Steps the Panthers have taken in recent years?

ESPN: What the hell are you talking about... We mean make every little thing that QB does into the biggest fuging deal possible. No matter what remember "He's selfish, me-first, fake and above all Immature" Can you do that?

David: Yes sir I think I can. 

Imagine you get a "dream job" of being allowed to cover and report about the happenings of an NFL team (or even the entire league), BUT over the first few years of your career you figure out that the only way to get your work promoted by the company you work for is to sensationalize it.  That would suck.

Imagine you get a "dream job" of being allowed to cover and report about the happenings of an NFL team (or even the entire league), BUT over the first few years of your career you figure out that the only way to get your work promoted by the company you work for is to sensationalize it.  That would suck.

I'm sure this doesn't bother David Newton at all as long as he keeps getting that check. 

I'm sure this doesn't bother David Newton at all as long as he keeps getting that check. 

Probably not. I really don't know, but I would imagine to get into a career like that you have to have a passion for it and then somewhere along the line, you give up and start reporting in this manner - which is much easier. 

Jeremy and Voth should teach classes on what they do. It's world class from a media perspective considering neither are affiliated with the league or the team. Just goes to show that being honest and doing it the right way will get you further. Might take longer (sans ESPN money), but the product is unbeatable. 

I didn't necessarily see David Newton's portrayal as negative against Cam, but I can see it as perhaps trying to spotlight some slight awkwardness that still exists between Suh and Cam.

Voth's portrayal was more fluffy and all smiles.

It's just a matter of perception. Everyone has their own agenda and/or sees the world from their own vantage point.

It's OK if you feel like your image was misused from that perspective, but I am not going to cast negativity upon any of you three for doing your jobs.

You mean the awkwardness they invented?

There was absolutely zero awkwardness or negativity in their exchange yesterday. 

I respect your opinion and will take it at face value, but...I did find it slightly interesting that Suh just didn't say "We had a great conversation." Or, maybe 'We had a great conversation, and it was a pleasant surprise." Or, "We had a great conversation, and I didn't mind it a bit." But, I have been indicted for over analyzing today, and my wife says that I just naturally try and look at people in the best light, so I will take your word that it actually was 100 percent all good.

Archived