• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Quitting the job you just started

neverlosethefeeling

I recently moved back to Charlotte after 2 years in the DMV. I accepted a position back in the QC that resulted in a promotion and pay raise, which was pretty awesome because Charlotte is infinitely cheaper than DC. I'm 2.5 months into this gig and I'm pretty certain this move was a gross misstep. The work isn't interesting, my position is poorly defined, and the team I work with is dysfunctional. They've gone through two other people in my current position in the last 9 months and now I understand why. I regret taking this job and if I knew then what I know now, I would not have moved back. 

I'm going in for an interview with another company today. This company is actually one that I targeted back in March when I launched my initial job search. Back then I didn't get an interview, but they had a position open up a week ago. I put in my application and was fortunate enough to land an interview this time around. If I get an offer, even if it's for slightly less money, I will be out the door at my current employer and I don't know how to navigate this--it's sort of uncharted territory for me as I'm still in the early stages of my career.  

I've gotten nothing but positive feedback from my current employer. They're really happy even though I'm not. And it's not like I've kept quiet about my concerns: I've addressed my issues directly with the managing director on two separate occasions. Still, I think they'll be surprised. 

What's the best way to do this while still preserving relationships? There are smart people where I work now, it's just not a fit for me. 

Who has had experience with this? I'd be interested to hear from people on both sides of the coin: those who quit and those who hired someone who quit shortly after starting their new job. 

Look dude, that interview at Panda Pancake LLC isn't real. Second, there are no smart people at the DMV. Third, be honest as to why you're leaving. It sounds like a high turnover job you're not going to be any surprise to them. I've been loyal to a few clients and it hasn't done a god damn thing because I'm not married to someone in management at EOG or Suncor. 

I did this once after being with a company for about 4 months. I liked some of the people but it was a train wreck of a company.  I tried to focus on the positives and without emotion stated some of the reasons.  The conversation with the manager turned a bit as my departure was taken personally but I was able to maintain a relationship with many of the other people.

Look dude, that interview at Panda Pancake LLC isn't real. Second, there are no smart people at the DMV. Third, be honest as to why you're leaving. It sounds like a high turnover job you're not going to be any surprise to them. I've been loyal to a few clients and it hasn't done a god damn thing because I'm not married to someone in management at EOG or Suncor. 

It was all a dream? (I used to read Word Up magazine).

And DMV=DC/Maryland/Virginia lol. Couldn't tell if serious...

There's really not a lot of turnover in this office. It isn't a sales or retail job. This is a well established, market-leading company. Of the two people that left before me, only one was due to dissatisfaction. The other was for personal/medical reasons. Throughout the rest of the office, including those that hold the same title as me, there's a surprising amount of stability. It's just not a fit for me. 

2.5 months isn't even out of most companies' 'probationary period.' If it isn't a good fit then it isn't a good fit, no harm no foul.  If you've been honest thus far, both you and the compang will be better off going your separate ways sooner rather than later. 

2.5 months isn't even out of most companies' 'probationary period.' If it isn't a good fit then it isn't a good fit, no harm no foul.  If you've been honest thus far, both you and the compang will be better off going your separate ways sooner rather than later. 

That's pretty much how I feel. And you're right, our probationary period is 3 months. 

I think if/when I get a new job, I'll just pretend this one never happened. I'll leave it completely off my resume. I'd rather show a short stint of unemployment than be perceived as a job hopper. It's on my resume now, though. And to land this interview I addressed my short tenure with the current company up front in my cover letter. 

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

By all means, if you're not happy with your job and there's something that is better open, do what you have to do. If you're not happy with your work, it WILL effect the other parts of your life.

That being said, I have a different mindset. If there was dysfunction in my current job, I'd work to correct it. Get everybody on the same page. If there was a problem employee, try every avenue to reconcile it with them, and if it doesn't work go to who you need to go to in order to fix that problem. Make it better. Jumping ship is easy, but if this is the starting stages of your career, it'll look so much better if you come into a job and fix this problem area.

Of course, if I'm off-base/misunderstanding the situation, don't listen to me.

Just go in and tell them that you have accepted another job.  Do it as respectfully as you can but do not worry about it.  If there was ever a situation where dumping you were in their best interest they would do it and would not care about your feelings.  The only reason you should care about their's is from a "do not burn bridges" aspect.

Just go in and tell them that you have accepted another job.  Do it as respectfully as you can but do not worry about it.  If there was ever a situation where dumping you were in their best interest they would do it and would not care about your feelings.  The only reason you should care about their's is from a "do not burn bridges" aspect.

I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to do just that.  Do not burn bridges.

It's called a two week notice.  

Step 1:   Explain to new job that you would need to give your old job a two week notice if offered employment.

Step 2:   After being offered employment at new job, give two week notice at old job.

Step 3:  Profit.

Alternatively, since you are under the 90 day probationary period, accept the new job, tell them you can start on Monday, and tell your old job you won't be returning on the Friday before that.  Your call.

Archived