• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rosenthal: In reality, the Panthers have a roster full of No. 4 receivers

top dawg

You do realize, don't you, that Percy Harvin is now with the Buffalo Bills and Rex Ryan. He's been talking trash about the Seahawks' WR corps lately.

I referenced Harvin when he was a Seahawk because that's the comparison that Matthias (and others in other threads) was making. I am very well aware that Harvin is a Bill, as well as hurt (maybe even "done"), that's mainly why I said "with the skills of". 

There you go with your extremes.  

Sayeth the WR extremist.

Irony... FUNNY.

There were some fairly cheap options in Kenny Britt, Hakeem Nicks and Denarius Moore.  

All *extremely* average.  None an upgrade over what we've got.

I suspect along the way during the draft that as opposed to picking up another DE or LB prospect that we could have used someone say like a Donte Moncrief, Jeff Janis, Michael Campanaro or John Brown. 

You should be making lots of money in the football talent evaluation biz brah.  Nippleshorts only wishes you would drop some of that sweet, sweet knowledge on him one day.

Sayeth the WR extremist.

Irony... FUNNY.

All *extremely* average.  None an upgrade over what we've got.

You should be making lots of money in the football talent evaluation biz brah.  Nippleshorts only wishes you would drop some of that sweet, sweet knowledge on him one day.

Yeah, whatever. When we advance to the playoffs beyond the second round this January (with our WR corps as presently constituted), if we're lucky to get there, then you can summon up the sarcasm.  Maybe it will actually have some meaning behind it at that point. 

For you to say that having a Britt, Nicks or Moore right now would essentially be useless, that just goes to show me that you're not as knowledgeable about the game or the personnel as you think, or either you are just interested in a narrative that doesn't hold water to try and make a pretty baseless point.

Edit: BTW, some NFL types were higher on these guys than you obviously are, e.g., Bill Polian, so I'll take that company any day of the week.

Yeah, whatever. When we advance to the playoffs beyond the second round this January (with our WR corps as presently constituted), if we're lucky to get there, then you can summon up the sarcasm.  Maybe it will actually have some meaning behind it at that point. 

For you to say that having a Britt, Nicks or Moore right now would essentially be useless, that just goes to show me that you're not as knowledgeable about the game or the personnel as you think, or either you are just interested in a narrative that doesn't hold water to try and make a pretty baseless point.

Edit: BTW, some NFL types were higher on these guys than you obviously are, e.g., Bill Polian, so I'll take that company any day of the week.

So your solution to the Panther's WR "problem" was/is to bring in Britt (2.8 receptions per game for his career, 43 receiving yards per game for his career, 3.6 receiving TDs per season for his career), Nicks (4 receptions per game career, 58 receiving yards per game career, 5 TDs per season career), or Moore (2.8 receptions per game career, 43 receiving yards per game career, 4.2 TDs per season career)?

Yeah, those guys sure have proven to the league, year after year, that they are legit #1 receivers.

i don't get the denarius moore hype.  never did.

his best season was in 2012 and as far as i can tell the main argument in favor of him being a potential breakout player is "he's never had a quarterback"

It seems that some amateur GM's have full confidence that they can wave their magic GM wand and make game-breaking players out of players that have proven over a number of years in the league that they are utterly AVERAGE.

So your solution to the Panther's WR "problem" was/is to bring in Britt (2.8 receptions per game for his career, 43 receiving yards per game for his career, 3.6 receiving TDs per season for his career), Nicks (4 receptions per game career, 58 receiving yards per game career, 5 TDs per season career), or Moore (2.8 receptions per game career, 43 receiving yards per game career, 4.2 TDs per season career)?

Yeah, those guys sure have proven to the league, year after year, that they are legit #1 receivers.

Tiger, I wish that I could find a way to say this more respectfully, but don't be stupid. 

First of all it's too late for any of these things to happen, and I only am discussing it because you brought it up and I decided to entertain you. Secondly, there is no good "solution" at this point, only a way to bandage the situation at the loss of Kelvin Benjamin. And, lastly, stop trying to use simplistic manipulations in debates that everyone can see right through in order to prove a point.

I never mentioned "solution", nor did I call either Britt, Nicks or Moore #1 receivers, much less "legit #1 receivers".  As basically stated earlier, they would have been relative young, cheap options that flashed and showed that they could be the main guys on their respective teams early in their careers. You cherry picking and framing of the most modest stats in a useless attempt at making me look like I am the one that doesn't know what he is talking about is not going to change that fact that they would have provided good depth in our current situation, but I digress. They were not top-shelf options. They flashed, but didn't pan out for various and arguable reasons, so they were "broken" in a sense. That being said, they were value options. It would have been my hope that our reputable and notable receivers coach could have taken a guy like Britt, Nicks or Moore and help them realize some of that potential---bring out some of that value---like Bill Polian (among others) believe that they have. 

Now, like I said, I only brought them up as a response to your question. Other than to entertain you, discussion of them or the other receivers that I have mentioned in my response is pretty useless. I guess that your main objective was not to listen, but to clown. The fact is, we all have opinions---some better than others---so stop trying to act like my opinions on those three and their potential in Carolina was outlandish, because football minds ostensibly greater than yours or mine, had some of the same.  I love the game, I watch the game, and I read about the game all the time, so when I say something I do so in order to offer up a sincere, well thought-out perspective, not in order to try and clown someone because of their own (even if their shortsightedness is obviously in full view).

Tiger, I wish that I could find a way to say this more respectfully, but don't be stupid. 

First of all it's too late for any of these things to happen, and I only am discussing it because you brought it up and I decided to entertain you. Secondly, there is no good "solution" at this point, only a way to bandage the situation at the loss of Kelvin Benjamin. And, lastly, stop trying to use simplistic manipulations in debates that everyone can see right through in order to prove a point.

I never mentioned "solution", nor did I call either Britt, Nicks or Moore #1 receivers, much less "legit #1 receivers".  As basically stated earlier, they would have been relative young, cheap options that flashed and showed that they could be the main guys on their respective teams early in their careers. You cherry picking and framing of the most modest stats in a useless attempt at making me look like I am the one that doesn't know what he is talking about is not going to change that fact that they would have provided good depth in our current situation, but I digress. They were not top-shelf options. They flashed, but didn't pan out for various and arguable reasons, so they were "broken" in a sense. That being said, they were value options. It would have been my hope that our reputable and notable receivers coach could have taken a guy like Britt, Nicks or Moore and help them realize some of that potential---bring out some of that value---like Bill Polian (among others) believe that they have. 

Now, like I said, I only brought them up as a response to your question. Other than to entertain you, discussion of them or the other receivers that I have mentioned in my response is pretty useless. I guess that your main objective was not to listen, but to clown. The fact is, we all have opinions---some better than others---so stop trying to act like my opinions on those three and their potential in Carolina was outlandish, because football minds ostensibly greater than yours or mine, had some of the same.  I love the game, I watch the game, and I read about the game all the time, so when I say something I do so in order to offer up a sincere, well thought-out perspective, not in order to try and clown someone because of their own (even if their shortsightedness is obviously in full view).

Except that you didn't just bring this up in response to me.  You have said this repetitively in this thread and others.  This is your "solution" to our "problem".  One that I've made quite clear, through use of statistics that you choose to ignore as "modest", is no solution at all.

All it is is what all the other panic'ers are doing... whining.  Complaining to sooth your aching soul.  It has nothing to do with logic or reason.  Yours (and others) is a purely emotional response.  

Its always a tricky thing responding to the emoters... they don't like it.  They're already angry/hurt in the first place.

Except that you didn't just bring this up in response to me.  You have said this repetitively in this thread and others.  This is your "solution" to our "problem".  One that I've made quite clear, through use of statistics that you choose to ignore as "modest", is no solution at all.

All it is is what all the other panic'ers are doing... whining.  Complaining to sooth your aching soul.  It has nothing to do with logic or reason.  Yours (and others) is a purely emotional response.  

Its always a tricky thing responding to the emoters... they don't like it.  They're already angry/hurt in the first place.

Tiger, that's complete and utter bullshit. Anyone that knows me knows I am more thinker and less "emoter".  I would expect this type of useless garble from someone who, at all costs, wants to try and turn the tables and make the discussion about something else in order to make a useless point.  Go and try and clown someone that actually will play into your juvenile schemes.

I don't know why anyone is getting mad...he's right. Even with Benjamin we were probably in the bottom 3 in terms of WR talent, and now we are so far an away the worst...you can literally name any team and they are 30%-40% better at the WR position at the least.... the Raiders (Amari Cooper, Crabtree, Homes, Tompkins all better than what we have) the Jaguars (Hurns, Robinson, Lee, Robinson) the Saints (Colston, Cooks, Nick Toon) the only team that really comes close to how bad we are at the WR position is the Chiefs, and even then they at least have Jeremy Maclin who trumps our WR group all by himself.

It is what it is...we aren't gonna be much better if at all on offense as last year and that means while we can still compete for the division and likely win it because our division is terrible, we won't be going anywhere in the post season. Literally name the top 50 WR's in the league, and we don't have a single one.  Every team in the league has to be bad at one position group with the salary cap, ours is WR and thats just the way it is. Just accept it and move on, enough bickering. There's always next offseason and draft to improve the position.

I see how Rosenthall would say that.  What was Ginn in Arizona and SF?  What was Boykin in Green Bay?  What was Corey Brown last year?  What is a second-round WR during the rookie year in most cases?  What is Bersin on a good day?

There are too many people who get butt hurt every time someone says anything about the Panthers that doesn't glisten in the reflection of the Lombardi.  This is accurate, but it is August.  We need to get a few WRs to rise to the occasion.

well, that basically already is the model for how Carolina does about "improving" their WR  corp outside of 2 draft picks 

Archived