• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rosenthal: In reality, the Panthers have a roster full of No. 4 receivers

top dawg

Chud was good until his stubborn ass started trying to show off in that 1st half of 2012 to campaign for a HC job.  When Rivera finally reigned him in, near the end of the fuging year, he was back to being really good again.

Chud's problem is he didn't actually give a fug about how the team did or its players... it was all about him showing off how smart and creative he was his last year with us.

What the hell are you talking about?

Philly is a UDFA, so? The guy proved he can be a reliable receiver and take the top off of a defense and score deep out of nowhere. Injury prone?? Because he got injured the playoff game? Do you even watch the Panthers play?

Ginn has had a rough career, but you can certainly say that his best was in Carolina. He connects with Cam very well, and is also a speedy threat with reliable hands and has proven to be clutch in prime time. And don't forget about his punt return ability, that upgrades one of our weakest spots last year ten fold.

Where the hell did you get the idea that Michigan fans dislike Funchess? I know several Michigan fans and visited their boards shortly after he was drafted. All I heard was how incredible of a player he was with the very limited talent around him. Rivera and Gettleman traded up for Devin for a reason. He is a mis-match nightmare, and has all the potential in the world to be a star receiver in this league. Even with the small samples that we've seen, he looks damn good. Get ready to see his reps and targets go up if he can take care of the hammy.

That O-line? Are you implying that our offensive line sucks? Because if you have been paying attention to the Panthers whatsoever, you would know that our o-line looks fugging solid right now. The only questionable spot would be LT and even then, Oher is starting to look the part and seem like a major upgrade. And the rest of them? Trai Turner is a monster, poised for another great season with much praise from the coaches and FO. Andrew Norwell could be one of the greatest steals in franchise history if he can repeat what he did last year. Ryan Kalil? Please don't make me explain that one. And finally, Remmers at RT, who played very well last season and looked good against Buffalo. Oh and the you got this kid Daryl Williams backing him up, already looking like a pro tackle, but I'm sure you've never heard of him.

WTF you act as if Philly was some beast, he didn't even have 300 yards receiving. He's a deep threat yet he only had one catch over 30 yards???? He was injured earlier in the season he had a concussion. Do watch the panthers play???? Philly is very limited, he's more quick than fast.

Actually Ginn's best season was with the dolphins not in Carolina. And what does that have to do with anything? He still a 4th and 5th string receiver in any other team not named the Panthers. Just casue we have garbage receivers don't make him any better.

LMAO are you serious? Every draft expert and Michigan fan before the draft were saying he was slow, had bad and hands and was soft. Go look up the Funchess thread on the huddle before he was drafted A LOT of back tracking, And yes he's coming along very slow this off season, people keep saying not to compare him with Kelvin cause its not fair, how he's not on that level. And he's a rookie for god sakes, how is it fair to Cam that his number 1 WR is rookie AGAIN.

The entire offense has been inconsistent since training camp started and it was mainly due to the O-line.

I don't know why anybody is saying stew has to stay healthy.  

Yes it would be nice, since he's our only real bawler in the backfield besides newton, but we have other running backs for a reason. 

Stop setting players AND coaches up to fail before the season even begins.

All I know is none of our WRs would start on any other team in the NFL this season.  That's a point that really can't be credibly argued.  That is indicative of our very real lack of depth at the position.

Everybody wants to drive this point home by comparing us to the Colts while forgetting to mention they don't have near the talent on defense that we do.

It's pretty much impossible to build a team in the salary cap era with a 30-team league and a very limited talent pool that doesn't have some flaw in it. Based on our style of play and the division, I don't think the Kelvin loss takes the Panthers out of making a run like last season. If Cam and/or Stewart are lost for any games, then you can start putting a fork in the season.

Oh,  yeah,  all we need to do is assemble a squad that makes that 10 catches a game.  KB doesn't  mean that much because we are a run-first team anyway.  And,  last but not least,  we are going to finally beat Seattle at being Seattle and get into our second Super Bowl! 

Am I doing it right? 

Seems to me that people need to temper their expectations,  but I already said that. 

is it fair to assume that our WR drafting philosophy was to find semi fast big bodies that Newton could hit easier? it sounds like so far in camp our QB was still having issues with accuracy and I wasn't looking forward to watching jump ball completions all season.

I do like KB and he will score many TDs in the redzone when he returns but it's time to put speed in the WR and have Newton improve his passing. I would much rather have the ability to throw the ball downfield ( or atleast the fear of it) and have a solid running game than a ball control scheme to help increase our completions.

so I put this on Newton to improve along with Shula and let RIcky work with some decent speeders to open the game up in the future. We have a decent Oline and running game- it's time to improve the passing game with our well compensated QB.

And I do think Newton can improve...but he ran out of time with the loss of KB. 

Rosenthal ain't lyin'.

The situation would feel less dire if the Panthers had an effective offensive coordinator. They have Mike Shula. As an inveterateCam Newton believer, I wonder if the Carolina offense needs to bottom out in order to get rid of Shula before finding a coach that gives Newton a real chance to grow. It could happen this year, especially if Stewart can't stay healthy.

And the section above is the entire crux of the matter.  Not losing KB.  Not the "roster of #4 receivers".

Its Shula.  And it always has been EVERY TIME someone makes him an OC.

Shula has a built-in excuse for this season 

Actually, losing KB is his excuse #2.

His first and primary built-in- excuse is and always has been "He's exactly what Ron Rivera wants in an OC."

Here's the thing about ridding ourselves of Shula (a move I fully support):  Who Ron Rivera hires in his place is likely to be a duplicate of Shula.  BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT RON RIVERA WANTS.

Shula is probably the worst offensive coordinator that I have ever seen as far as making adjustments, and the loss of Benjamin is going to require a big one.  That's not actually a recipe for success. His ass on the altar might be the real silver lining after all of this is said and done.

Friendly reminder that Jeff Davidson was our offensive coordinator for a time 

Archived