• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rosenthal: In reality, the Panthers have a roster full of No. 4 receivers

top dawg

Yes, Gregg Rosenthal is shooting a cold dose of reality about our receiving corps...the kind that we were loath to listen to last year before the season began. I suspect that it may not be as dire as he projects, as we have added Ginn and Boykin (who looks to play a more important part this season than we would have thought when the day began), but I just can't see us getting out of that bottom third of offenses with what we have at the moment. Hell, with Shula, you never really know how our stock would rise anyway, and Rosenthal even added insult to injury on that score:

The situation would feel less dire if the Panthers had an effective offensive coordinator. They have Mike Shula. As an inveterate Cam Newton believer, I wonder if the Carolina offense needs to bottom out in order to get rid of Shula before finding a coach that gives Newton a real chance to grow.

Yeah, yeah, Rosenthal threw in the now obligatory potential silver lining of J-Stew and our defense, but are Stewart and the defense going to carry us farther than we were able to go last year (even if the division sucks as bad again, which I kinda doubt).  

Of course I am going to watch every game with hope and gusto because that's what I do, but if Rosenthal is right about the reality of our band of WR4s, along with Shula's lack of creativity in normal circumstances, much less in a crisis, then a re-calibration of expectations is warranted forthwith.  

Even if we bottom out on offense, we aren't getting rid of Shula. You already know what the excuse would be as to why he failed, even though we all know the real reason why our offense is trash. And yes, we really do have a roster full of 4th receivers (Funchess is still up in the air) no matter how much the Huddle hypes them up. Rosenthal is sadly right on the money tbh.

Even if we bottom out on offense, we aren't getting rid of Shula. You already know what the excuse would be as to why he failed, even though we all know the real reason why our offense is trash. Rosenthal is sadly right on the money tbh.

NFL coaching thrives on scapegoats.  Ron will have to sacrifice someone if he has a losing season.  A 2nd year WR won't give this staff a pass

Shula is probably the worst offensive coordinator that I have ever seen as far as making adjustments, and the loss of Benjamin is going to require a big one.  That's not actually a recipe for success. His ass on the altar might be the real silver lining after all of this is said and done.

NFL coaching thrives on scapegoats.  Ron will have to sacrifice someone if he has a losing season.  A 2nd year WR won't give this staff a pass

Please God I hope you're right. The day Shula is either demoted back down to QB coach or let go and we hire a competent OC is the day we can actual move forward as an offense and as a team.

Shula is probably the worst offensive coordinator that I have ever seen as far as making adjustments, and the loss of Benjamin is going to require a big one.  That's not actually a recipe for success. His ass on the altar might be the real silver lining after all of this is said and done.

This is very true. And if KB being out is what leads to our offense being bad enough that we can Shula, then so be it. 

So, if KB is a 1 and  funchess turns out to be a 2,  and the rest are all number fours,  how is that bad? How many teams are going to have a roster of  first and second string receivers? Any team that loses their number one wide out is going to be hurt 

I think that's a bit much. Although, I think it's questionable if you have a legit #2, I think you definitely have 3 viable #3s.

I was discussing it with @RelaxImaPro earlier.

Funchess will simply have to be the default #1. He's the most talented guy on the roster. I know, he's a rookie, and not all guys come out guns blazing like last year, but he's going to have to learn by fire. 

I like Brown as a #3, slot guy. Shifty with some speed. Just don't think he's polished enough to be considered a #1. He'll be #2. I think he'll do decent. Certainly no worse than last year.

Ginn is no more than a #3 receiver. One might even say#4. He's proven over and over throughout his career that any time he's asked to be more than that, he flops. 

Olsen will be the #1 targeted guy this season and that's not a horrible thing. 

Overall, I think the receiving corp is slightly below what it was last year. Only because you don't have that legit #1 to go up and get a ball when you need it. I think the receiving depth is better than last year though. 

This isnt a season killer guys. Perk up a bit. You're making me sad.

Just kidding, I love your pain. But seriously. The season hasn't started yet.

Archived