• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Not a good practice today

Jeremy Igo

yeah, I'm not one of the relentless Shula bashers on here, but you're right. We've seen it too many times to expect otherwise. Failure to adjust. Predictable conservative play calling and formations. Every year we're told that the playbook will open up come the regular season and it never happens. 

Same.  My biggest beef is how SLOW our offense is.  We run the play clock way down nearly every snap when we have a QB who excels when we go fast.  Not to mention the OL problems we've had and the fact that running the clock down essentially gives away the snap to the D.

There is a lot of optimism floating around this offseason, and honestly, I am buying into it as well, a little.

But this fuging offense is tempering the hell out of that.  

From week 7 to 17, we scored more than 21 points twice....against rivals with awful defenses......

I want to buy into it. I really do, but it's a broken record every year. Ultimately, I have a wait-and-see attitude.  We really won't be able to accurately establish reality until probably sometime during late September if we're lucky.

You can't put everything on the OC, the players have to execute. But the problem is, if the gameplan, and plays being called for the players to execute are flawed to begin with, and not particularly suited to each players strengths, you are going to see inconsistency with the offense as a whole.

Our declining red zone numbers the last few years are most concerning. If we can't improve there this year with the talent we have, we need to look for another answer at OC.

Hence why I said it. Our offense (throughout the years) seems like they always hold us back from taking that next step. Against the 49ers, we failed many times to score in the redzone, which is ultimately why we lost (that and rigged refs). Hell, even just last year if it wasn't for our defense playing a historic game, we probably would have lost to the Cards again in the Wildcard because our offense was straight sloppy for hte majority of the game. Against the Seahawks, if our offense could have put up some more points and capitlized, we would have had been in control in the 4th. You get my drift. But I get it, we are a defensive team that relies heavily on them.

Anyway, It's only been one preseason game, I'm sure our offense will be fine once regular season hits and we actually start gameplanning.

If invested in OL like we did on the DL we wouldn't be so far behind.

If invested in OL like we did on the DL we wouldn't be so far behind.

If we invested in an actual OC, then we wouldn't be far behind.

Kubiak and Shanahan hardly ever have weak OLines. Wanna know why? Well, primarily because of the zone blocking scheme and the way they coach it. Similar to how well Miami ran with a spare parts line last season in a comparable scheme. Hire a legit OC that can implement a good running scheme and we are in business. Oh, I forgot, Shula needs 5 All-Pro O-linemen to do that.

If we invested in an actual OC, then we wouldn't be far behind.

Kubiak and Shanahan never have weak OLines. Wanna know why? Well, primarily because of the zone blocking scheme and the way they coach it. Similar to how well Miami ran with a spare parts line last season in a comparable scheme. Hire a legit OC that can implement a good running scheme and we are in business. Oh, I forgot, Shula needs 5 All-Pro O-linemen to do that.

I meant in general the early rounds picks on defense and the # of drat pick is the reason its ahead of the offense.

I meant in general the early rounds picks on defense and the # of drat pick is the reason its ahead of the offense.

You're absolutely right. HOWEVER, we have seen that if we did that the last couple years, it would have been a HUGE reach seeing as how most O-line being drafted in front of us have failed horribly. I get what you're saying, and you are right, but I'm saying a good OC can mask those deficiencies throughout a season and still be a good offense.

Archived