• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Not tackling in training camp

Jeremy Igo

I don't' think it's a coincidence at all. Its just like anything else.. the more you do something, the more comfortable/good you get at it. I can't say it's a bad policy. I believe it does prevent more injuries leading up to the season and every team is on the same learning curve. No advantage/disadvantage for anyone. 

Yeh, honestly I doubt no tackling helps too much. They don't get used to it and then they are throwing their bodies around all over the place. Seems like it could fair worse for some. Except the QB, I'd still say hands off on him. But sometimes trying hard to stop injuries can end up causing them. There is such a thing as being too cautious. IMO.

I feel this is something coaches across the NFL should have addressed before it had to be negotiated in the CBA.  I think a good standard practice would be some form of penalty for vicious and unnecessary hits in practice, and no tackling in piles (so open field tackles only, legs can get all sorts of messed up with them hog mollies falling on them).

Over the past few years, possibly since the new CBA, there has been no actual tackling in training camp. 

Since then, tackling in preseason and during the first part of the season has always started out relatively poor. 

Coincidence?

Agreed. Much more sloppy play. I've noticed ever since this rule was released a few years ago that the tackling has to kind of build up to the point of being decent/how it was before the rule. The team has to build steam to get up to speed. 

I dont nnow the stats but it also seems to me players are injured more easily this way. Especially minor injuries from the lack of conditioning.  I think it would be better to weed those kind of injuries out before preseason.

It would be interesting for see analytical  data showing injuries during training camp and the preseason  for before and after the new CBA that has so greatly reduced contact in practices.  Even if contact injuries may have gone down, it seems like non-contact injuries (which usually involve knee ligaments) have gone up. Don't know that there's any correlation  there but at least overall it doesn't seem like there is a drastic decline in injuries. 

The tackling across the league is generally bad until about week 3 in my opinion.  Given the Panthers early season struggles from 2011 on (Rivera), it's hard to see how more contact and practice tackling in the preseason wouldn't be a positive  thing.

i understand the logic behind this thread, but frankly... other teams dont have a problem starting fast. i dont think we can blame the CBA for the Panthers' slow starts, or every team in the league would suck at tackling and the league would see a whole lot more parity than it does in the first four games of the season...

Archived