• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Lee Ward / Artis Payne Combo

Jeremy Igo

I guess I'm one of the few that wasn't especially impressed by Cameron Artis-Payne.  So-so on others like Damiere Byrd and Lee Ward too.  And while I liked Brandon Wegher's run, it did legitimately come against 3rd and 4th stringers.  Ditto Rakim Cox.  I kinda doubt he's that dominant against a better lineman.

Not making too many judgments just yet, mind you.  We've only seen limited snaps in the first preseason game.  There's still more to come.

As far as non-rookies, Joe Webb didn't really look as great as his last series overall, but I'll grant he had poor protection.

Planning on rewatching this week's game and then look forward to the next one.

To me, what it showed was that CAP, Wegher, and especially Cox, did enough to warrant a look earlier in the game. They earned a chance to go against better competition. Then we can see if they can still do what they did. Or was it really the competition? Cox especially had four plays in a row that pretty much sealed the win. That warrants a bump in playing time.

Or I could just be dreaming. Nah, I liked what I saw. Now let's see if they can repeat it.

To me, what it showed was that CAP, Wegher, and especially Cox, did enough to warrant a look earlier in the game. They earned a chance to go against better competition. Then we can see if they can still do what they did. Or was it really the competition? Cox especially had four plays in a row that pretty much sealed the win. That warrants a bump in playing time.

Or I could just be dreaming. Nah, I liked what I saw. Now let's see if they can repeat it.

I'd be on board with that.

I always make an effort to not get too caught up in preseason heroics. I've seen a few too many guys who looked good in limited action against third stringers turn around and fold like a pizza box when the real bullets started flying.

(Jamal Robertson and Randy Fasani come to mind)

I'd be on board with that.

I always make an effort to not get too caught up in preseason heroics. I've seen a few too many guys who looked good in limited action against third stringers turn around and fold like a pizza box when the real bullets started flying.

(Jamal Robertson and Randy Fasani come to mind)

Yeah, I am not saying move them to the top of the charts. Not by any stretch. But, we saw enough last night for guys like Cox and Wegher to move up the charts. You need to see if it was the competition that made them look good. Or can they still look good against better competition.

Cox especially. He was the only  D-lineman that got good pressure, and he did it almost from his first snap. Now, I didn't see him do much against the run. But that could be I hadn't noticed him until he started getting pressure on the QB.

I just like that guys that are playing in the later part of the game still have made an impression. To me that warrants getting more reps. Let's see if it WAS just one game. Or is it sustainable? It is hard enough to make this team as it is. But let's not overlook these kids out of hand.

Two more Preseason games left for these kids. Let them play. Let's get some good tape. Then make an informed opinion.

tl/dr version. Some of these kids are going to be hard to let go. And that hasn't been said around here for quite some time. Yea!!!

Waive Folkerts,  use Remmers as backup center,  Williams as backup RT,  keep Ward and Brockel? 

I think in order to keep the 7 WRs that I think have to make the team (KB, Funchess, Ginn, Philly, Bersin, Boykin, and Byrd for his trick play/big play potential) Brockel should be cut. That's my opinion. Guys are going to have to go to keep 7 receivers and he should be one

That run by CAP shows he has no push or big play threat. Just takes what the OL gives him. You can plug in 80% of the back up RBs in the NFL and get the same production. Need a RB who can make people miss, has speed, or racks up some big YAC in the NFL.

You are better off putting Mike Tolbert at RB full time and keeping CAP on the bench. Tolbert can at least run over defenders and pick up some decent YAC. You will never see CAP out run an entire secondary for a TD on a 5 yard dump off like Wegher or Fozzy have shown.

I would rather see Lee Ward running the ball over CAP for the same reason. CAP hits a wall and the wall wins. Same thing happened in the SEC. He needs a 5 yard hole to produce a 15 yard run. Not going to work in the NFL.

That run by CAP shows he has no push or big play threat. Just takes what the OL gives him. You can plug in 80% of the back up RBs in the NFL and get the same production. Need a RB who can make people miss, has speed, or racks up some big YAC in the NFL.

You are better off putting Mike Tolbert at RB full time and keeping CAP on the bench. Tolbert can at least run over defenders and pick up some decent YAC. You will never see CAP out run an entire secondary for a TD on a 5 yard dump off like Wegher or Fozzy have shown.

I would rather see Lee Ward running the ball over CAP for the same reason. CAP hits a wall and the wall wins. Same thing happened in the SEC. He needs a 5 yard hole to produce a 15 yard run. Not going to work in the NFL.

how do you watch that Vine and claim that "we need a RB that can make people miss"?  Chandler fubared his block and the DE was almost immediately in the back field. CAP makes him miss and turns a play that should have been negative into a healthy gain.

Archived