• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Lee Ward / Artis Payne Combo

Jeremy Igo

I am with the "What exactly does Brockel actually do?" camp.  I know that he is versatile, is a fair to good blocker, but Ward punishes.  The "eye in the sky" don't lie, people.  I am sure that Rivera, a former LB, appreciates a stud FB when he sees one.

Unfortunately or strategically, there will be injuries (actual or not) that put players on the IR.  Ward will find a roster spot.

Brockel is a good blocker, covers TE and FB, and plays about 5 games' worth of snaps on special teams.  

I'm not against Ward by any means, but what I see in this vine?  A good pop, which drives the player back, Ward then falls off his block and the defender is in what would've been the hole.

Brockel is a good blocker, covers TE and FB, and plays about 5 games' worth of snaps on special teams.  

I'm not against Ward by any means, but what I see in this vine?  A good pop, which drives the player back, Ward then falls off his block and the defender is in what would've been the hole.

I've yet to see Brockel ever make that block. Ward pushed the guy 3 yards Into the hole.  At that point he did lose contact with the LB but I'd take a 3-4 yard gain every run. We don't have a rb on the roster that couldn't have gained 3+ yards on that run. 

Yes Brockel does play a lot on  STs and has yet to make a play on any of them.  I would prefer to have players on my team that are game changers. He served his purpose when we didn't have depth at any position.

Good luck elsewhere.  He's one of our players that probably couldn't crack a lineup anywhere else.  

i ddnt want to be the one spoiling the Ward fun but his guy was as involved in the stop as Chandlers guy. It was almost a great block.

i ddnt want to be the one spoiling the Ward fun but his guy was as involved in the stop as Chandlers guy. It was almost a great block.

Good lord.

Fullbacks are not expected to hold a block the entire play. His duty was to clear a path and get the LB out of the LoS.  He did that. 

That play is designed to pick up 6-7  yards, like most plays up the middle. 

Ward executed it very well.  

I guess I'm one of the few that wasn't especially impressed by Cameron Artis-Payne.  So-so on others like Damiere Byrd and Lee Ward too.  And while I liked Brandon Wegher's run, it did legitimately come against 3rd and 4th stringers.  Ditto Rakim Cox.  I kinda doubt he's that dominant against a better lineman.

Not making too many judgments just yet, mind you.  We've only seen limited snaps in the first preseason game.  There's still more to come.

As far as non-rookies, Joe Webb didn't really look as great as his last series overall, but I'll grant he had poor protection.

Planning on rewatching this week's game and then look forward to the next one.

How much did Ward play after that block?  I didn't notice him and immediately thought that once the Panthers saw that they simple shut him down so they could stash him later.

there was a play after that where he made a block and it looked like he may have gotten slightly hurt. He called to the sidelines and pulled himself out. Didn't see him after that.

Archived