• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Anyone happy about Mark Jones coming back?

Snake

Not that I'm really happy about it, but I do think that it's needed. He's a solid returner, maybe he can teach Cap and Goodson how to catch a punt in the year he's here. He (MJ) won't take one back to the house cause he's too slow, but he won't fumble the catch either. We don't have an explosive offense that can score points at will, so we don't need costly fumbles that will give away easy points and tire our D down even more. An experienced returner is a good choice, for ball security and teaching how to be replaced.

He can catch the ball without fumbling. That immediately makes him better than all our current options. :ack2:

Just had a thought. Assuming he's going to be active on game days and that he is technically a receiver, does this mean that Jarrett is all but certain to be inactive if Moore's ahead of him in the depth chart?

Not that I'm really happy about it, but I do think that it's needed. He's a solid returner, maybe he can teach Cap and Goodson how to catch a punt in the year he's here. He (MJ) won't take one back to the house cause he's too slow, but he won't fumble the catch either. We don't have an explosive offense that can score points at will, so we don't need costly fumbles that will give away easy points and tire our D down even more. An experienced returner is a good choice, for ball security and teaching how to be replaced.
i agree with all that except the bolded.

7th most points per game

27th in plays for line of scrimmage

21st in time of possession

scoring wasn't a problem. if anything it was done too quickly. controlling the clock would have been better for the team, esp. the defense.

This is what it says to me. The team knows its D will be lousy and the last thing they want is to give an opponent a short field due to a fumble. Not that they would want to anyway, but field position will be critical this year.

Excited? No. Makes sense? Yes.

I don't understand the people saying no. If he doesn't work out, and we end up cutting him, no harm done, right? But if he turns out to be the pleasant surprise he was last year, we'd be in great shape and this'll have been one of the better roster moves.

win-win situation, IMO.

Do the people saying no, that they wanted us to go with what we have realize that fumbled punts can and do cost games...and multiple fumbled/muffed punts will almost certainly cause you to lose a game? The problem isn't that he is such a dynamic returner that we just had to have him back, but the fact he is reliable and sure-handed. Can anyone say the same for the other guys we have doing it?

Sure, we have other needs, but few positions can have such a direct impact on the game as returners. You can scheme to protect a poor run defense, but you can't scheme to protect a returner that can't catch the ball. Sooner or later it's going to cost you big.

i want to know what we are giving up to get him? who is going to be getting cut?

we don't exactly have a lot of wiggle room, do we?

we got some depth at LB we could lose?

i hate to say it....but with all the Stewart talk recently and the move to pick the GB kid ( a real odd move) has me starting to follow that logic.....

Archived