• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

VIDEO - 1 on 1 - Cameron Artis-Payne vs David Mayo

Jeremy Igo

Ouch. I suspect the greatest thing he needs to improve upon to get his share of playing time is pass protection. He has the frame to be a good blocker... technique comes next. I remember Dave when we drafted Gafney saying very few college backs really and truly know how to protect against a rusher. I'm confident he has the ability or he wouldn't have been drafted by us at all. 

Mayo comes in at 6'2 230 at LB, he's definitely a force to be reckoned with but Payne needs to hold his ground way better.  Though...there's not many RBs outside of our own Tolbert, Daniel Thomas or Gore (in his prime) with shining pass blocking skills so our LB core could destroy many backs with someone like David being situational behind Shaq/Luke/TD.  

Mayo comes in at 6'2 230 at LB, he's definitely a force to be reckoned with but Payne needs to hold his ground way better.  Though...there's not many RBs outside of our own Tolbert, Daniel Thomas or Gore (in his prime) with shining pass blocking skills so our LB core could destroy many backs with someone like David being situational behind Shaq/Luke/TD.  

stew is a great pass blocking back

rookie, but he did mention that he was a good pass blocker.  I can also add it is tougher in drills for the RB than than the LB. 

A-P has some serious work to do with the feet, but when he gets it, that will be great.  Not afraid of contact, just doesn't anchor.

He still blocked him for over a second and slowed him down.  A lot of RBs completely whiff on blocks and let in a free rusher.

I mean it's not like he's an o-lineman that's expected to hold his blocks.  It's not that bad.

Counting the snap of the ball and the time it takes for Mayo to reach CAP... AND the fact that this would've been a blitz, looks like Cam would've still at least had a solid 3 seconds or slightly more.  Assuming the o line held up their end of the deal.

Getting more than 3 seconds to throw the ball on a blitz isn't bad at all.

Archived