• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Best defense is a good offense

Nu Guns

Our whole offense is back and they are pretty damn solid!

Our line is great barring injury and even is Stewart misses some games, Goodson is a damn good football player.

Smitty, Moose, Moore are a good solid 3 unit and from what we have seen in the pre-season is looks like our TE's are finally going to get some action this year.

I know our run defense is going to be an issue , but I am hoping we can combat with a great offense. (best defense is a good offense formula)

I am worried that Fox will not use that formula, but given his contract status, he may not have a choice.

Jake's arm did look very strong in the preseason, which is great because I think he may be throwing a but more this year.

As long our offense can stay on the field, we will be fine.

But will Fox pass the ball when its 3rd and 14 ???

Our whole offense is back and they are pretty damn solid!

Our line is great barring injury and even is Stewart misses some games, Goodson is a damn good football player.

Smitty, Moose, Moore are a good solid 3 unit and from what we have seen in the pre-season is looks like our TE's are finally going to get some action this year.

I know our run defense is going to be an issue , but I am hoping we can combat with a great offense. (best defense is a good offense formula)

I am worried that Fox will not use that formula, but given his contract status, he may not have a choice.

Jake's arm did look very strong in the preseason, which is great because I think he may be throwing a but more this year.

As long our offense can stay on the field, we will be fine.

But will Fox pass the ball when its 3rd and 14 ???

I have had these same thoughts myself. And have wondered as you......... would Fox be willing to open it up sooner. I guess that is the $64,000. question.

I don't blame you. You have seen what great offense and poor defense gets you. In 2008 it got NO an 8-8 season.

But I agree with you that great offense without at least good defense won't win the tough games or get you to the playoffs.

I hate to disagree, but NO had a great passing game in 2008, not a great overall offensive package.

I hate to disagree, but NO had a great passing game in 2008, not a great overall offensive package.

You don't lead the NFL in offense without a great offensive package. Look at NE in 2007, they didn't run the ball much either but lead the league in offense as well. Balance can be a good thing but isn't necessary in order to have a great offensive team.

I wish I could remember the website I saw this killer stat at.

It basically showed the time of pos in each quarter and the impact on that teams OWN Defense and how long each drive was.

In a strange way relook at Carolina's year last year. DeA had TONS of long runs for td's. While cool to watch it had an odd impact on the Panther's D.

They would not sit all that long thus they could possbly be worn down come the 4th qrtr.

I think TOP is not viewed the way it once was. Simply having the ball longer is not as important as WHEN you hold the ball. If you are big play in the 2nd half but don't chew up the clock it could work against you.

You don't lead the NFL in offense without a great offensive package. Look at NE in 2007, they didn't run the ball much either but lead the league in offense as well. Balance can be a good thing but isn't necessary in order to have a great offensive team.

Very true. But I don't know, I can't view a singular aspect of a team as making it great, regardless of how effective that aspect may be. Did the Saints legitimately go up against a stellar pass defense all last year (I'm asking because I don't know and don't want to look it up)? No one in the South can stop a pass effectively, and the AFCW and NFCN can't really make that kind of claim either.

If the Saints were to face a team that can competitively shut down the passing game, how would their offense look?

And if you ever have the nerve to make a point by using NE as a reference point again, well then I just don't know what I will do. They are all godless motherless freaks of nature and deserve to be mentioned only in eulogies.;)

Archived