• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Seymour trade

Matt Foley

I read something earlier that they may be considering a move to a 4-3 because they are too thin at LB to continue in a 3-4. I think thats crazy talk since we are 7 days away from the first game, but maybe an extra first helps with that next year.

They are not considering moving to a 4-3, they've already made the move. I'm really surprised more peopel, i.e. espn, nfl network, haven't been talking more about this. They played their last three preseason games running a 4-3.

The Seymore trade doesn't surprise me because of this. It would seem that he wouldn't be the asset he is as a 4-3 DE, although I'm sure he still would be a good one. However, I'm sure NE will run some 3-4 and it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was about a 50/50 split throughout the season and Seymore would be a asset in those situations.

So, would they still be willing to try and trade for Peppers? I think they would but the bigger question would be would the Panthers be willing to part with Peppers? Don't forget that the trade deadline doesn't end until Oct 20 and then both teams may have a better understanding of what their needs may be. So while I doubt that a Peppers trade would happen anytime soon I wouldn't rule it out for this season.

Seymour was a milder form of Jenks on the Pats. Great player but a public whiner and in a lot of eyes a bit of a malingerer perhaps.

Oak has to try to sign him to an extension now too. They gave up a first not having done that already so here are the scenarios I envision without knowing any details for a fact:

-Oak is in the process of doing an extension with him after having confirmed prior to the trade that he's amenable to such (good luck with Eugene Parker- :D)

- They are willing to take a chance he won't re-sign (D'OH!!!!!!!).

-The first is based on their being able to resign him and will be some other pick if they can't.

They play a bit of 4-3 every year among other weird defenses and perhaps they will show more of it but I doubt they alter their base of 3-4. Looking at all the teams who now play 3-4 as opposed to how many did when Belichick first got there it is now harder to get players for that system IMO.

It's really a double move. Got young guys already in place. Could be an uncapped year next year.

You guys hear me preach this with stocks and the economy but LEVERAGE. That's the #1 weapon at the negotiating table. Either you have it or you don't.

He who does ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS wins.

Not only does NE have lev but they have options and flexibility. Flat out the smartest front office in ALL of sports WORLDWIDE.

It's really a double move. Got young guys already in place. Could be an uncapped year next year.

You guys hear me preach this with stocks and the economy but LEVERAGE. That's the #1 weapon at the negotiating table. Either you have it or you don't.

He who does ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS wins.

Not only does NE have lev but they have options and flexibility. Flat out the smartest front office in ALL of sports WORLDWIDE.

NE studied where we went wrong with our problem and came up with a solution in the Raiders thus avoiding our BS.

Archived