• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bottom Feeding

Blitz

Just a thought about Sutton. He's a third down back, and we don't even need one with Stewart and Williams. BUT, we also have Goodson, who looked like a starter in preseason.

If Stewart is healthy, we should be able to command more than a fourth round pick for Goodson, based on what he's shown. Does Sutton make that possible?

This is no time for PRACTICE! This isn't preseason anymore. Where is the PS roster? Usually those are proven guys that you use in a pinch should injuries come up.

Not sure why you say we need bodies for practicing. Maybe I'm missing something here. :confused:

you are. they practice all year...every week. it's what they do in between games.

they have a practice squad to help them run things and it isn't proven guys that they have on there. they are people lacking much in the way of real game experience.

this isn't the minor leagues.

Each NFL team may keep up to eight members on their "practice squad" in addition to their 53-member main roster. They consist mostly of rookies who were cut in training camps and borderline NFL-caliber players. Both rookies and young veterans are eligible for the practice squad. However, a player cannot participate on the practice squad for more than three seasons, or if he has accrued a year of NFL experience (six or more games on a club's 53-man active roster or official Injured Reserve list.) If the player was on the active list for fewer than 9 games during their "only Accrued Season(s)", they maintain their eligibility for the practice squad.

Practice squad players practice alongside regular roster players during the week, but they are not allowed to play in actual games. They can be paid considerably less than active squad players: The minimum salary from 2008 to 2010 is $5,200 per week (2008-2010) for 17 weeks, or $88,400 per season, in comparison to the NFL minimum rookie salary of $285,000. (Some practice squad players are paid considerably more, however. In 2006, the New England Patriots paid third-year player Billy Yates the full $425,000 he would have earned on the active roster.)

Players can be promoted to the active roster of their current team or to that of any other team. They have free agent status and can sign with any team they wish without compensation to the original team. Additionally, the NFL has a program through which foreign players may be assigned to teams' practice squads, called the International Practice Squad Program.

link

Just a thought about Sutton. He's a third down back, and we don't even need one with Stewart and Williams. BUT, we also have Goodson, who looked like a starter in preseason.

If Stewart is healthy, we should be able to command more than a fourth round pick for Goodson, based on what he's shown. Does Sutton make that possible?

Ummm are you suggesting that we have insurance to shop Goodson for something higher than a fourth round pick? Please tell me I am reading that wrong!

If I am not, why oh why would you trade someone, who could be a starter, at a fourth round money slot, for an unknown commodity, which could end up being less productive than Goodson???

you are. they practice all year...every week. it's what they do in between games.

they have a practice squad to help them run things and it isn't proven guys that they have on there. they are people lacking much in the way of real game experience.

If you want just another body, you sign a player to the practice squad. You dont waste cap space to sign a player to the 53 man squad, that will also take up a roster spot for someone else that is much more needed, just to be "another body for practice".

NO poo! I know about the practice squad, and know they practice all year. I was saying this is no time for "practice players". We need DT's and O-line help, not players to fill the practice squad.

The highlighted is bullshit for the most part. True they may not have much game experience, but why go out for new, when you have just cut ones you are familiar with, unless they are saying they were all just worthless pieces of poo, so let's go get more? I doubt that was the case. Not from what I saw. They are also guys that you may end up needing during the regular season, not just some dumbsh1ts.

Sorry if my wording wasn't good enough for you to understand, and just pick apart.

Archived