• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bottom Feeding

Blitz

I just watched the 2nd half of the Panthers/Steelers game again and focused on Harris. He was #73. Started the entire 2nd half at RDE in Pittsburgh's 3-4. IMO he was good. Usually demanding double teams on running plays and was able to get good pressure on passing downs. He was also the one who sacked Moore in the 4th quarter (about 11:40 on the clock).

Most Steeler fans were excited about him. Most thought that he could end up being Hampton's replacement next year if he leaves. I think most saw him more of a NT and not a DE but I think the Steelers were playing him there to see if he could get a spot on the team there because of the depth they have at NT. Hocka is there backup at NT now but while a great backup isn't really considered starting talent.

I'm very suprised they cut him and so were most Steeler fans that I know. I doubt that he would be able to start week one but it would not surprise me if he didn't eventually become the starter into the season. I also think that Lenord could also push Lewis for his starting spot as the season progresses.

I am a Steeler fan and it truly pisses me that Harris was claimed. There were 3 players that we released that we were sweating getting claimed and they were Isaac Redman, Donovan Woods, and Sonny Harris. The Steelers struggle finding young defensive linemen that play well enough with their hands to work in our scheme. Harris was as good as a rookie as either Kirschke or Eason. Kirschke is 33 and Eason is like 29. Our other 4 DL are over 30. We drafted Ziggy Hood whom looks to be special, but there were games where Harris flashed better than Hood. It truly blows he is gone.

As for Harris being a 3-technique, that is just where we line up. A 3-technique lines up between the guard and tackle. A 4-technique is straight up over the tackle. A 5-technique is outside the tackle. A 2-technique is between the guard and center and, of course, a 1 is head up over the center. Harris has played every technique for us from the 2 to the 5. He is a 2-gap defensive lineman that shows some 1-gap technique. He uses his hands well, but can get skinny and shoot.

IMO, you will be pleasantly surprised. Good Luck to the kid, I know if you do not like him, we will gladly take him back.

So, where we on the waiver list? 20 something wasn't it?

So these guy's preseason teams didn't want them, nor did 20 +/- other teams.

Yep, that's bottom fishing.

You do realize that last year's Defensive MVP (Harris) was cut several times and spent a year on the practice squad....don't you.

Archived