• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A quick analysis on the Eagles - Panthers matchup.

Jensen

This is going to be one the biggest, if the not the biggest game for us this season, and we should be grateful that it's fought on our soil, for this is going to be a tough one.

On offense it will be exciting to see how Jake performs in his first 60 minute game since the dreadful Cardinals performance, however, we shouldn't expect a great statistical debut. Not only will Philly bring a heavy blitz, but Jake's favorite target Steve Smith, is sure to have his hands full trying to get open against one of the top corners; Asante Samuel. Not to mention Sheldon Brown, a well above average corner, who shouldn't have too much trouble covering Moose.

The key to opening up the passing game in this one, will be to utilize Philly's weak spot on defense, the linebackers. Utilizing the flats and trying to get the ball in DeAngelo's hands as much as possible is important, much like the Eagles will use Brian Westbrook. Also, it will be interesting to see how two unknown players are going to matchup against each other; Kenneth Moore against Joselio Hanson.

What I'm looking forward to most, is to see "Double Trouble" take the field again, and wreak havoc in the opponents defense. (Although the jury is still out on if Stewart will be ready for kick off.)

Whether or not Stewart takes the field, I expect DeAngelo to have a huge game on the ground, as we are sure to stick to the run as much as possible, neglecting Philly their ability to blitz, as due to no-names at the linebacker position, their run blitz will meet with very little success.

Stewart Bradley, Philadelphia's best linebacker, is out for the season, which is a huge blow to their run defense. (Stewart Bradley was Peter King's choice as an all-pro at the position last year.)

Carolina will pound the ball, and they will pound it with success!

Matchups of interest:

Jeffrey Otah vs Trent Cole - Cole is a quite capable defensive end, and the offense will be punished if Otah lets this guy roam free.

Steve Smith vs Asante Samuel - Carolina's passing game is practically based on one guy, and if he has a bad game, the offense in general usually has as a bad game as well. The key will be to move Smitty in motion as much as possible, and to utilize every single mismatch that might occur.

Jake Delhomme vs The Eagles defense - Negative factors against Jake in this game; His mobility in the pocket is limited. His tendency to force the ball too much to Smitty is expected to continue, which could be fatal against Asante Samuel. It will be crucial that he can look past the blitz, and find the open man in the middle.

On defense we could be in for a long, long day, as the preseason showed us an uninspired and very soft defense. Preseason or not, tackling has nothing to do with gameplanning, and it is crucial that Beason, Davis and Godfrey are 100% and ready to go.

The key to stopping Brian Westbrook is obvious, as Beason must have a great game. Unfortunately that might not be enough, as the defensive line is sure to have it's set of problems against a rock solid offensive line. Expect Hayden and Lewis to be pushed around in the middle, and therefore we might be forced to put Harris in the box.

Gamble is expected to take full care of Kevin Curtis. McNabb realizes this, and is sure to try and get DeSean Jackson and Hank Baskett the ball in their hands as much as possible, who against Richard Marshall and Dante Wesley, both could have good gains through the air.

Baskett against Wesley is a clear mismatch, and I'll be very impressed with Wesley if he can hold Baskett to just a mediocre game.

Panther fans are holding their breath to see just how good Marshall's transition from nickel to 2nd will be. DeSean Jackson is Philly's version of Steve Smith, and this matchup could really go either way.

McNabb is still a top tier QB, and he could have a field day if the Panthers don't get a good pass rush going. Everette Brown has had a spectacular preseason, with a sack in each of the four games. His ability to get to McNabb could be crucial.

Matchups of interest:

Julius Peppers vs Jason Peters - Peters is slightly overrated, but he is nonetheless a quality tackle. Peppers' eyes might see dollar signs this season, as a potential salary cap free season could be waiting for him at the end of the season. If that doesn't inspire him, I don't know what will...

Richard Marshall/Dante Wesley vs DeSean Jackson/Hank Baskett - If the Panthers fail to stop these guys, the game will get out of hand very quickly.

Jon Beason vs Brian Westbrook - The most crucial matchup of them all, and if Beason appears not to be 100%, Westbrook will run all over us.

All in all:

I see this as a game with it's fair share of scores, with the Cardiac Cats seizing victory in the end: 31 - 28 Panthers.

This game is going to show us what kind of team we have right out of the gates. The good news is the Eagles don't do allot of between the tackles running so our DT's will still have time to gel and our coaching staff will have another chance to figure out who can play without getting abused.

Nice writeup.

Lots of weird things happen in week one because no teams have any idea really what to expect or gameplan for. There are no "current" tendencies really on file.

I agree that Philly will likely be a good team to screen against. I still remember some of those screens fondly from the 2006 game.

Reid loves to get a little too pass happy......this is the perfect matchup for him to do that. We saw last year what these guys can do against the pass and there are no signs of progress being made in the new year. We need a great day from the offense and a few bad plays from McNabb to win this one.

Nice writeup.

Lots of weird things happen in week one because no teams have any idea really what to expect or gameplan for. There are no "current" tendencies really on file.

I agree that Philly will likely be a good team to screen against. I still remember some of those screens fondly from the 2006 game.

Agreed. I believe the last time we played Philly, DWill lead the Panthers in rushing and receiving yards.

I would include Davis in the matchup against Westbrook.

Also, how well the OL picks up the Philly blitz packages are going to be crucial. Jake is going to take some licks in this game, but if they can be kept to a minimum then things should play out in our favor.

Was just about to say that. I believe Davis' role will be to go as Westbrook goes. Just hope that knee is a 100%.

This is going to be one the biggest, if the not the biggest game for us this season, and we should be grateful that it's fought on our soil, for this is going to be a tough one.

On offense it will be exciting to see how Jake performs in his first 60 minute game since the dreadful Cardinals performance, however, we shouldn't expect a great statistical debut. Not only will Philly bring a heavy blitz, but Jake's favorite target Steve Smith, is sure to have his hands full trying to get open against one of the top corners; Asante Samuel. Not to mention Sheldon Brown, a well above average corner, who shouldn't have too much trouble covering Moose.The key to opening up the passing game in this one, will be to utilize Philly's weak spot on defense, the linebackers. Utilizing the flats and trying to get the ball in DeAngelo's hands as much as possible is important, much like the Eagles will use Brian Westbrook. Also, it will be interesting to see how two unknown players are going to matchup against each other; Kenneth Moore against Joselio Hanson.

What I'm looking forward to most, is to see "Double Trouble" take the field again, and wreak havoc in the opponents defense. (Although the jury is still out on if Stewart will be ready for kick off.)

Whether or not Stewart takes the field, I expect DeAngelo to have a huge game on the ground, as we are sure to stick to the run as much as possible, neglecting Philly their ability to blitz, as due to no-names at the linebacker position, their run blitz will meet with very little success.

Stewart Bradley, Philadelphia's best linebacker, is out for the season, which is a huge blow to their run defense. (Stewart Bradley was Peter King's choice as an all-pro at the position last year.)

Carolina will pound the ball, and they will pound it with success!

Matchups of interest:

Jeffrey Otah vs Trent Cole - Cole is a quite capable defensive end, and the offense will be punished if Otah lets this guy roam free.

Steve Smith vs Asante Samuel - Carolina's passing game is practically based on one guy, and if he has a bad game, the offense in general usually has as a bad game as well. The key will be to move Smitty in motion as much as possible, and to utilize every single mismatch that might occur.

Jake Delhomme vs The Eagles defense - Negative factors against Jake in this game; His mobility in the pocket is limited. His tendency to force the ball too much to Smitty is expected to continue, which could be fatal against Asante Samuel. It will be crucial that he can look past the blitz, and find the open man in the middle.

On defense we could be in for a long, long day, as the preseason showed us an uninspired and very soft defense. Preseason or not, tackling has nothing to do with gameplanning, and it is crucial that Beason, Davis and Godfrey are 100% and ready to go.

The key to stopping Brian Westbrook is obvious, as Beason must have a great game. Unfortunately that might not be enough, as the defensive line is sure to have it's set of problems against a rock solid offensive line. Expect Hayden and Lewis to be pushed around in the middle, and therefore we might be forced to put Harris in the box.

Gamble is expected to take full care of Kevin Curtis. McNabb realizes this, and is sure to try and get DeSean Jackson and Hank Baskett the ball in their hands as much as possible, who against Richard Marshall and Dante Wesley, both could have good gains through the air.

Baskett against Wesley is a clear mismatch, and I'll be very impressed with Wesley if he can hold Baskett to just a mediocre game.

Panther fans are holding their breath to see just how good Marshall's transition from nickel to 2nd will be. DeSean Jackson is Philly's version of Steve Smith, and this matchup could really go either way.

McNabb is still a top tier QB, and he could have a field day if the Panthers don't get a good pass rush going. Everette Brown has had a spectacular preseason, with a sack in each of the four games. His ability to get to McNabb could be crucial.

Matchups of interest:

Julius Peppers vs Jason Peters - Peters is slightly overrated, but he is nonetheless a quality tackle. Peppers' eyes might see dollar signs this season, as a potential salary cap free season could be waiting for him at the end of the season. If that doesn't inspire him, I don't know what will...

Richard Marshall/Dante Wesley vs DeSean Jackson/Hank Baskett - If the Panthers fail to stop these guys, the game will get out of hand very quickly.

Jon Beason vs Brian Westbrook - The most crucial matchup of them all, and if Beason appears not to be 100%, Westbrook will run all over us.

All in all:

I see this as a game with it's fair share of scores, with the Cardiac Cats seizing victory in the end: 31 - 28 Panthers.

That sums it up right there. Whoever wins that matchup wins the game.

Archived