• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Martin Wallace ... step right up?

Jeremy Igo

During mini camps, Martin Wallace (6'6, 330. Temple) earned some snaps at left tackle, jumping ahead of Foucault on the depth chart. 

While I am not sure this makes him the automatic backup to Michael Oher, it may buy Gettleman time to wait for cuts from other teams before signing another tackle. There are reasons some guys are currently employed, and some are not. It may be wise to wait for those first cuts when serviceable veterans are released early out of respect. 

Don't the crew have a policy now? That's how they found norwell, test players with starters/2s to see the results. I believe even Ron said something among the lines if not for giving norwell the opportunity, he wouldnt be on the 53. 

Panthers did invest time in him, so they must see something. Arimti should be given a shot too, cause I know he's not a starting OG. Utility type is need, better than Nate chandler.

I just wish we took LT more seriously. 

the last two years in FA have been pretty lame as far as left tackles go.  in 2014's FA about the only two that ended up playing above the value of the contracts they signed were donald penn and jared veldheer.  veldheer's cap figure goes way up this year and penn was a desperation signing that little was expected of after the raiders bungled roger saffold's physical.  the others were either major busts (collins) or got paid way above what we could have hoped to offer (branden albert).

dunlap and bulaga were the two "name" players that were re-signed by their respective teams before they could even really test the market this year.  joe barksdale signed for pretty cheap but he's more of a right tackle.  that position is just so highly valued now that it's difficult to just find one in free agency if you have cap problems.

why the panthers haven't done this when 31 other teams have done it so easily themselves is one of the great mysteries of our time

Think he's talking about Collins.

And on that note, all 31 other teams didn't draft him even as late as the 7th round so clearly no team wanted to risk it. He chose the Cowboys over us; there are no indications that we didn't pursue him.

Archived