• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shaun Smith (DT) released by the Lions...

CatMan72

Why haven't we done anything yet? The cuts are in. The DTs out now aren't gonna last long.

Anyone who has to clear waivers has to wait until Sunday at noon at least. Anyone who doesn't, and in whom we have interest, has likely already been contacted. Just because stuff is announced suddenly doesn't mean it happens suddenly...

As for Smith, he's a headcase but that doesn't mean a desperate team won't take a chance on him. The question is, are we as desperate as we were when we signed Keyshawn? Also, is there another team even more desperate at DT?

For what it's worth, we have some pretty high-character guys in leadership roles on our defense. We also have a good organization, and we should be very competitive this year. Winning with good people tends to keep malcontents from spouting off, at least in their first year with the team...

The way I look at it the least he could do was come in and be Leonard's backup. The FO cut it down to 3 DT. So we at least need depth. This guy is big, strong, and has a good motor. He gets decent pressure and can plug up holes very well. I think he is almost a clone of Leonard. They both are very similar skill set and size, although Leonard is 2" taller. I say for vet min bring him in, cut McCown for the cap space, and at the very least we have someone to rotate in with Leonard. But to me Smith is a better pressure guy so we could up getting a guy like Jenkins' who was good at both aspects on D. With the preseason do really think they aren't going to have to sign someone?

Archived