• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Country Music is Officially Dead

Jeremy Igo

I've always hated that washed up pop and rock stars think they can just waltz into the country music realm and revitalize their career. I wouldn't even care but none of these people are even remotely southern. Steven Tyler grew up in New York City for christ's sake. It seriously undermines legitimate artist's actual work when this happens. Of course, legitimate artist is basically dead in today's world. Not only in country but other genres as well. Rock music is about as dead as it's ever been too. But at least it isn't being taken over by pop singers I suppose. 

There are legitimate artists in country still. The vast majority of them are on a small scale though. The problem is that country has gone mainstream and the biggest "artists" now cater to middle aged women, frat boys, and teenage girls. Legitimatly good music gets left in the dust because of poo like Florida Georgia Line, Luke Bryan, Jerrod Neiman, and shitty country rap. Below is a little list I made of modern stuff that's actually good. 

Eric Church - He's everyone's go to guy when they want to show that country music is still good. His entire Chief album is amazing. He's much more southern rock than country, but he makes legitimately good heartfelt music. Recommended tracks: Springsteen, Lightning, Talladega, Dark Side, Smoke a Little Smoke, Homeboy, Creepin. 

Dierks Bentley - He's really overlooked. He's put out consistently good music for over 12 years now. Yes, he can release some shitty pop sounding stuff too but I honestly think he does that just so he can keep his career afloat. He's like U2 meets country. Recommended Tracks: Long Trip Alone, Bourbon in Kentucky, Settle for a Slowdown, I hold on, Say you Do, Come a Little Closer, Tip it on Back, and his entire bluegrass album entitled Up On the Ridge.

Sturgil Simpson - He sounds amazingly like Waylon Jennings and is a great songwriter. He writes some psychedelic stuff though and definitely doesn't write traditional country lyrics. Recommended Tracks: Turtles All The Way Down, You can Have the Crown, Life Ain't Fair and the World is Mean. 

Folk Soul Revival - Extremely small time band that is made up of nothing but strings. Sort of like country mixed with Mumsford and Sons. Recommended Tracks: China Town, Sweet Virginia, Jawbone Blues, Here, Sam's Gap. 

Jason Isbell - The greatest song writer in country music today. Very sad stuff though. Recommended Tracks: Elephant, Alabama Pines, Razor Town, Cover me Up, Traveling Alone. 

John Moreland - He's an amazing talent. His songs are so deep and I love his voice. I honestly think he'd be a big deal if he wasn't morbidly obese. Recommended Tracks: Nobody Gives a Damn about Songs Anymore, Cherokee, Gospel, You Don't Care Enough for Me to Cry, Blacklist.

Chris Stapleton - He's been the underground country sweetheart for a really long time now. Used to be in a bluegrass band called The Steeldrivers that is really good too. Recommended Tracks: Traveler, What are you Listening to?, Fire Away, Parachute. 

Archived