• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Son, when I was your age....

Jeremy Igo

Not to touch on a morbid topic, but I was in 7th grade during 9/11 and that seems to have been the cutoff for being either heavily affected or not giving two shits. People I meet even 1-2 years younger don't seem to acknowledge it with as much fear or reverence. Which in a way is a good thing(for the fear part at least). 

My son asked me if I used to write with a  feather.

One time in a hotel, my son was playing around and picked up the landline phone to pretend he was calling someone. He heard the dial tone and immediately threw the phone down thinking something was wrong.

Had to walk 7 feet through shag carpet to change the tv channel.

You forgot the part about using a set of pliers to change it because the plastic knob fell off.

Our old TV remote took like 4 C batteries. I had a TV in my room. To get channels higher than 12, I needed to put one knob on U. It was horrible, I tell ya.

My sister had a TV like that some years back.  Since she didn't like having to get up to change the channel, she went out and bought a universal remote for it. 

My nephew and I had to explain to her why it didn't work.

We asked her "What did you expect it to do? Reach out and turn the knob for you?"

Had a black and white tv in my bedroom when I was a kid. No way my parents were springing for a color one. That "change the channel walk to turn the knobs" struggle was real.  My first gaming system came in a plastic bag filled with Army men.  My first bike was a Miami Dolphins themed Huffy with a banana seat. That 1978 Christmas when I got the orignal Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader,etc was epic along with 50 Hot Wheels cars. 

My 11 year old doesn't understand what "go outside and play" means. We used to make our own toys out of sticks and rocks when we broke the toys we had.  Mom and dad didn't run back to Roses or K-Mart to buy another one.  I could play in a creek for hours, hunting crawdads, making dams, and watching my leaf "boat" go faster than my friends.  If I told my daughter to go play in the creek she'd think I was crazy and punishing her.

Our kids generation lacks imagination in so many ways when it comes to play. Oh sure they can imagine the next cool tech gadget but give them a rope, a cracked frisbee, or a tarp and they wouldn't know what to do with it (I have about 6 ideas for just those items alone).

When I was your age....

Or how cartoons were only broadcast on Saturday mornings.

And you didn't need cable to actually get cartoons. Watched Porky Pig OTA while waiting for the school bus. Came home to Duck Tales and Scooby Doo. But USA Cartoon Express during the summer > Nick

Archived