• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Son, when I was your age....

Jeremy Igo

I find myself telling my kids things similar in tone to what my dad used to tell me. Today it was...

No, you cannot download a game to your tablet for 5 dollars. 

Why, when I was your age I would spend hours upon hours typing in code from the pages of computer magazines into my commodore 64 to play a game. The slightest error would cause the game not to play. Countless hours just typing line by line, character by character. And at the end of the day I would get to control a pixelated balloon on the screen. But it was my balloon dammit. 

Anyone else catch themselves telling these stories to their kids? 

Try explaining to a kid today what it was like to have decide which one (or maybe two) albums they wanted to take with them when they left the house to listen to in their portable music device.

That is if they didn't want to carry the small suitcase full of cassettes.

My kids have both graduated High School now so I don't have some of those same moments anymore. But I do remember being tired from work all the time (Active Duty Army back then) and basically just telling them no about everything. Then I realized it's much easier to say yes and be involved with them. Sure it took a little more energy but it was easier and more fun. Did I WANT to play with Barbies? Nope. But I tried to make it fun for them and me. I remember I made Barbie a stunt actress and she usually ended up breaking her back and crying in pain...I'm not sure I was a good dad come to think of it.

Anyways, I don't really think I ever fell into that trap of repeating my dad all that much. But if you feel you turned out pretty good then maybe turning into your dad is a good thing. :)

When i point out how i also didn't have something at my kids age it ends bad for me. Like my youngest who has a wicked wit. One time she was hassling me about getting a cellphone. I go when i was your age i didn't have a cell and she goes dad there was a lot of things you didn't have at 13 because it hadn't been invented yet. Oww

I find myself telling my kids things similar in tone to what my dad used to tell me. Today it was...

No, you cannot download a game to your tablet for 5 dollars. 

Why, when I was your age I would spend hours upon hours typing in code from the pages of computer magazines into my commodore 64 to play a game. The slightest error would cause the game not to play. Countless hours just typing line by line, character by character. And at the end of the day I would get to control a pixelated balloon on the screen. But it was my balloon dammit. 

Anyone else catch themselves telling these stories to their kids? 

In some ways when I was your age never ever gets used. For instance my daughter is a newly licensed driver. No way I'll tell her what I was up to at her age. Amazing we survived.

Archived