• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This just in - Thursday Night games aren't good for NFL teams..

Jeremy Igo

Their initial research uncovered some interesting data. Over a five-year period from 2009-13 the average winning percentage for teams against extra rested opponents (teams coming off an open date or Thursday game) was four percentage points lower than when on normal rest.

From 2002 (the first year of the current eight-division format) until 2014, research uncovered big discrepancies in the number of games some teams had to play against extra rested teams. For example, the Bills had to play 29 such games, more than twice as many as the Cincinnati Bengals, which had the fewest such games (12).

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/06/29/Pitt-graduate-sets-out-to-fix-NFL-scheduling-quirks/stories/201506290019

So a grad student has decided to look at Thursday games and what effect they have on the teams that play in them. 4 percentage points doesn't sound like much, but when teams miss the playoffs by half a game sometimes its a pretty huge deal. 

Personally, I wouldn't mind getting rid of all Thursday night games all together. Football is meant for Sundays and the occasional Monday night. Thursday nights just don't belong.  

I love Thursday night NFL games.   That means no more than 2 nights without an NFL game.  If it's a good College game, or here in Atlanta a good JV game then I have the option not to watch.  But more times than not, it's an excuse to fire up the HD projector , BBQ some wings and drink whatever beer was left from Monday/Sunday.

Archived