• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Taylor Swift to perform at the Super Bowl halftime show?

Jeremy Igo

Not conjecture: the one album and every song where she has sole writing credits will not be performed at the super bowl because they were never hits (i.e. probably aren't good songs), and all of her well-known hits were co-written by Max Martin or some other songwriter.

You can draw whatever conclusion you want from that. 

Elton John didn't/doesn't write most of his popular songs (if any) and in fact says he doesn't even know what some of them mean...and yet he is still pretty talented and a good show (I would guess). Not sure why her songwriting is of much interest.

To be fair, I can't name a single song of hers (unless her latest albums name -1989- is also a song).

Pop artists are faces, bodies, and voices. They aren't expected to be talented songwriters. Even some beloved bands/groups/artists that we all believe to write every fraction of every song they've ever recorded have had producers intervene and change songs to suit the label and whatnot. Nature of the business. The music business isn't about originality and raw talent. It's about pleasing the powers that be within the record label, because they only want radio plays and CD sales/downloads.

Elton John didn't/doesn't write most of his popular songs (if any) and in fact says he doesn't even know what some of them mean...and yet he is still pretty talented and a good show (I would guess). Not sure why her songwriting is of much interest.

To be fair, I can't name a single song of hers (unless her latest albums name -1989- is also a song).

it doesn't matter to me as far as just listening to the song in it's final form. 

but let's be honest, these pop stars don't write their songs and all of them use autotune (yes, including swift). 

Right on. I guess I just don't think about it much. I expect pop stars to not write their music. If they did then it would be noteworthy (which is part of what Zod was saying). If a band (like a rock band) didn't write their own songs then that also would be noteworthy (but in a bad way).

Here's what his wiki page says about him with Swift:

Martin produced and co-wrote the Billboard Hot 100 No. 1 hit "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together", on Taylor Swift's 2012 album Red, which became her first number-one single in the US. Upon its release, the song reached the top position on the iTunes singles chart in 50 minutes, hence breaking the previous record held by Lady Gaga's song "Born This Way" with a record of an hour, making "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" the fastest selling single in digital history at that time. Swift's "We Are Never Getting Back Together" set the record for the biggest digital sales week (623,000) ever for a song by a female artist, surpassing the record held by Kesha's "Tik Tok". It also reached the top of the iTunes single chart in 32 countries. He also co-wrote and produced two other singles on the album "I Knew You Were Trouble" which peaked at No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100 and "22" which was a moderate success.

Martin produced and co-wrote the latest three singles on Swift's album 1989, "Shake It Off", "Blank Space" and "Style" which were released on 18 August 2014, 10 November 2014 and 9 February 2015 respectively. Shake it Off and Blank Space hit No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100, with the former debuting at the top spot.[17] Martin was both a co-writer and co-producer for Swift's "Bad Blood" which in a re-mixed form reached No. 1 on Billboard's Hot 100 the week dated June 6, 2015.[18] Martin also contributed to multiple other songs off of Swift's latest album, 1989, released 27 October 2014.

Ok, so this all made me curious and I went and looked it up. I now know more about Taylor Swift than I'd ever admit to someone's face.

She's had at least a co-writing credit on every song she's ever put out, and on a good number of the songs on her first four albums she's the sole writer. Her third album, "Speak Now", is the one where she is credited as the only writer. All seventeen tracks from that album charted in the Billboard top 100, four of them in the top 10, and at the time it was the 16th album to be certified platinum in less than a week (an accomplishment she repeated on her next two albums, making her the only artist to have three consecutive albums go platinum in their first week of sales). Her first two albums she worked most closely with Liz Rose, a well known country songwriter. Her third album, as stated, was all her. Her fourth album she worked with several different writers  spread out over seven of the sixteen tracks, including Max Martin on four of those. Her fifth and most recent album she worked mostly with Martin, but there are a few others (including Imogen Heap, apparently) who are given co-writing cred. For comparison's sake, I looked up Carrie Underwood's most recent album and she's given co-writer credit for eight of the fourteen tracks.

I'm gonna go take a shower now.

Ok, so this all made me curious and I went and looked it up. I now know more about Taylor Swift than I'd ever admit to someone's face.

She's had at least a co-writing credit on every song she's ever put out, and on a good number of the songs on her first four albums she's the sole writer. Her third album, "Speak Now", is the one where she is credited as the only writer. All seventeen tracks from that album charted in the Billboard top 100, four of them in the top 10, and at the time it was the 16th album to be certified platinum in less than a week (an accomplishment she repeated on her next two albums, making her the only artist to have three consecutive albums go platinum in their first week of sales). Her first two albums she worked most closely with Liz Rose, a well known country songwriter. Her third album, as stated, was all her. Her fourth album she worked with several different writers  spread out over seven of the sixteen tracks, including Max Martin on four of those. Her fifth and most recent album she worked mostly with Martin, but there are a few others (including Imogen Heap, apparently) who are given co-writing cred. For comparison's sake, I looked up Carrie Underwood's most recent album and she's given co-writer credit for eight of the fourteen tracks.

I'm gonna go take a shower now.

Good work. So it seems like maybe she got where she is on her talent and then got superstar help to catapult to superstardom. While I can't name a single song of hers, she seems more legit than most pop stars and therefore Zod's post has some vailidty. Also SZ James was right to point out that she's not the virtuoso others were making her out to be. I think we can put this issue to bed. Good work.

I wish I could shower but I will later.

Co writer probably means lyrics...

shesh

And pretty sure early on Elton wrote a lot of his own material.

he's been around for like 40 or 50 years. What constitutes early on at this point? Hard to pick between him and Billy Joel for me being from NY.

Archived