• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My take on Kaminsky

MedellinHeel

I didnt watch much NCAA last year, so I didnt have intimate knowledge of many of the draftees. Having gone back and watch as much on Kaminsky as I can. I must say, he is one very very skilled player. Polished as poo on the offensive end. 

I was reading people saying he can not move. Not sure where they are getting that from. His movements are fine for a guy his size. My only concern with him is defense in the paint. However, most NBA PF's are faceup type players so he might can do alright here. Should be decent at the very least. 

Some things that stand out to me. 

1) Very good shooter. 

He will open up things for everyone offense. Will not be able to leave him open on the perimeter

2) Good feel in the paint

He has some really nice soft hook shots. Knows how to use the glass well. 

3) Very crafty with the ball

Has a deceptive handle. He does a great job of spinning both ways, using pump fakes, and getting up a high % shot 

4) Can take his man off the bounce

He has that jab step / hard couple of dribble spin to the basket move down pat 

5) Solid rebounder

Not elite but very solid. Certainly not a weakness

6) Good passer

Good awareness and ability to find the open man

7) High basketball IQ

Rarely takes bad shots. Does a good job of getting himself high % looks

Quite impressive.

I just don't see enough athleticism for him to be effective as a 4 in the NBA. His skill looks impressive but people raved about Cody's skill when he came out and it hasn't amounted to much. Zeller is on another planet athletically compared to Frank and that really scares me. This whole thing feels a whole lot like the Sean May or Adam Morrison picks and we all know how that worked out.

I just don't see enough athleticism for him to be effective as a 4 in the NBA. His skill looks impressive but people raved about Cody's skill when he came out and it hasn't amounted to much. Zeller is on another planet athletically compared to Frank and that really scares me. This whole thing feels a whole lot like the Sean May or Adam Morrison picks and we all know how that worked out.

Cody was skilled but he was not close to being as skilled as Kaminsky. 

Kaminsky is about as polished as they come from a bigs perspective. 

I easy see enough athleticism for Kaminsky to guard most 4's. 

This coming from the guy who bitched from the rooftops last year about the KB pick, I'd take it with a can of salt.

Lol

How can I bitch about the KB pick when directly after the draft I do a redraft with KB in the 1st?!

You are confusing me arguing about him not being comparable to Calvin to me not liking the pick. 

Lol

How can I bitch about the KB pick when directly after the draft I do a redraft with KB in the 1st?!

You are confusing me arguing about him not being comparable to Calvin to me not liking the pick. 

You can revise it after the fact all you want to.  Everyone who was around during that time remembers all the crap you were talking about the pick.

I think we were all prepared for Kaminsky. None of us wanted it but let's be real...after the top 7 or 8 prospects, there weren't many home runs left and Kaminsky just felt like he was gonna be there when we picked at 9. What is so aggravating is that Winslow fell. And was gift wrapped for the Hornets and once again, they screwed it up. Kaminsky might be a good offensive player, but Winslow will be a better player.

You can revise it after the fact all you want to.  Everyone who was around during that time remembers all the crap you were talking about the pick.

Would you like me to link my redraft directly after the draft? At the exact moment I wasnt thrilled, but that was due to wanting a T. Some nice T's fell so I would have taken in in the 1st with hindsight. He is a very solid WR. Not Calvin elite or potential. But very solid. 

I'm concerned of three things. 

1. Will he be able to get open shots in the NBA? He lacks the athleticism to create his own open shot and doesn't have much experience in shooting off screens (which is pretty much because of Wisconsin's system). I hope he has length to shoot over defenders otherwise he is nothing more then Channing Frye. 

2. Will he be able to drive against pro defenders? He was very good at this in college, and if he can bring this to the NBA I think he will become a stud. 

3. Defense. But fug defense, we are the Hornets and our tall players aren't required to play defense. 

All around I think he has the potential to become an offensive star, but I hate we let Winslow go to the Heat. Also I do not like Jalen Rose's comparison of Frank to Ryan Anderson. Completely different players.

I'm concerned of three things. 

1. Will he be able to get open shots in the NBA? He lacks the athleticism to create his own open shot and doesn't have much experience in shooting off screens (which is pretty much because of Wisconsin's system). I hope he has length to shoot over defenders otherwise he is nothing more then Channing Frye. 

2. Will he be able to drive against pro defenders? He was very good at this in college, and if he can bring this to the NBA I think he will become a stud. 

3. Defense. But fug defense, we are the Hornets and our tall players aren't required to play defense. 

All around I think he has the potential to become an offensive star, but I hate we let Winslow go to the Heat. Also I do not like Jalen Rose's comparison of Frank to Ryan Anderson. Completely different players.

1) Looks so to me. Great take off the bounce and spin move. Nearly unguardable without sending help. 

2) Handle is there. Sudden quickness is there. Knows how to use a jab fake. He will be able to drive. 

3) Defense is a slight concern. 

Archived