• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Competition at CB?

CelibatePimp

For what it’s worth, Peters did bring his helmet to practice during minicamp, but while his teammates were on the main fields, he again spent most of his time on the side with trainers. He claims the hamstring has been close to 100 percent and “if we had a game today, I would play.” But the Panthers, who are intrigued by the 6-footer’s size, didn’t want to jeopardize his availability next month by rushing him back this past month.

http://blackandbluereview.com/shaq-thompson-garry-peters-excited-for-panthers-training-camp/

Was reading about Shaq and Peters on BBR. It appears the Panthers may be high on this UDFA enough to not cut him during all those crazy transaction periods even though he was injured. That brings the number of CBs currently on the roster to 9, tied for 2nd  with the LB corps for the position with the most players (behind WR with 11 players).

The two who are a lock to make it are Bene and Norman. The battle for CB could be as brutal as that for WR if the competition plays out the way it should.

I would think Tillman is a lock and RR spoke on WFNZ this morning mentioning Houston added great depth.

i know coach speak but I think those 2 w Norman and Bene are 4 spots.

Here is what I can glean from Dave's two years here. He doesn't believe in spending on the secondary. He thinks the most critical unit to a defense's success is the dline/pass rush. That is why they thought a veteran like Cason could give us similar production like we had from those old guys in 2013.

In any case, it appears Melvin White might be looking in from the outside.

Here is what I can glean from Dave's two years here. He doesn't believe in spending on the secondary. He thinks the most critical unit to a defense's success is the dline/pass rush. That is why they thought a veteran like Cason could give us similar production like we had from those old guys in 2013.

In any case, it appears Melvin White might be looking in from the outside.

It would seem like Tillman is a lock given Rivera's history with him, but I can't think with Gettleman pulling the strings he's a lock to make the roster.  He hasn't played much in two seasons and at 34, how much does he have left in the tank?  I heard a few reports from OTA's that Funchess was burning him repeatedly in red zone drills.  Could just be getting his legs back under him after a long layoff, but who knows.  Champ Bailey didn't make the Saints roster last year.  

It would seem like Tillman is a lock given Rivera's history with him, but I can't think with Gettleman pulling the strings he's a lock to make the roster.  He hasn't played much in two seasons and at 34, how much does he have left in the tank?  I heard a few reports from OTA's that Funchess was burning him repeatedly in red zone drills.  Could just be getting his legs back under him after a long layoff, but who knows.  Champ Bailey didn't make the Saints roster last year.  

Yes but that was oOTAs with out pads. I would like to see how does at training camp. Tillman was always a good jammer and notorious for his knockouts, so I can see him doing a lot better being able to be full contact. 

Outside of a couple of positions there is competition everywhere.   CB will always be a position for competition because smarts and speed make it a position you can always improve.

I am not in total agreement on DG thinks this is a position he can address in Free Agency.  Most of your top talent is committed at least one more season.  He seems to be very good at mastering the cap and getting players a solid value without overspending. 

What helps is his (his team) ability to evaluate talent and get solid contributors from the FA market.

Archived