• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stephen Hill finishes on a down note

Jeremy Igo

I'm not too worried about the Hill situation. For this horrible day of looking inept, he has had days of looking like he + Proehl are elevating his game.  OTAs are a first glimpse, but I think TC and the preseason games will sift through our roster the way rain washes away pollen.

The two big elephants in the room for getting the final WR roster set, IMO, are Cotchery and Hill.  These two are, for different reasons, going to be the biggest decisions moving forward in respect to the other players. 

For me, I think the WR unit pecking order is:

Tier 1: Benji, Funchess

Tier 2: Brown, Ginn

Tier 3: Bersin, Cotchery, Hill

Tier 4: Boykin, The other Brown, Byrd, Lucas, Presley

I think the Panthers have Benji, Funch, Brown & Ginn as the top-4, with Bersin/Cotchery/Hill/Byrd as the ones that they have to decide amongst. 

IMO, Boykin, the other Brown, Lucas and Presley are gonners. Lucas intrigues me, so if he could clear waivers and make it to the PS, I'd be happy with that. 

If Carolina decides to roll with 6 WRs, then the competition comes down to Bersin, Cotchery, Hill, and Byrd for two spots. Gun to my head, I'd put Bersin in, and then decide between Hill and Byrd. I love Cotch and went to State, but I think the upside and ST work of Hill and Byrd is hard to pass over for a 33-year old WR that didn't show much last year. 

Regardless, these are tough NFL business decisions, but I love that a part of our offense that was so weak this time last year, has this kind of competition heading to Spartanburg. May the best man win.

​Interesting question.  If Ron's praise for him yesterday was genuine and not merely meant to encourage him to do better, it would seem Hill's best moments must have come on days OTAs were not public, because I've not read anything from the public practices which would suggest him as one of the OTA "stars" as cited by RR yesterday.

Hmmmm....  But sadly, it's not looking good for Hill.

KB, Funch, Brown, Ginn, Bersin, Cotch, Boykin, Byrd are all seeming to be ahead of him so far in performance.

​I dont think its makes much sense for Rivera to say that Hill has done a great job if he hasn't.  Praising a player for doing a poor job doesnt seem like an effective way of getting more out of him, nor does it send the right message to the other people who actually are performing well.

​I dont think its makes much sense for Rivera to say that Hill has done a great job if he hasn't.  Praising a player for doing a poor job doesnt seem like an effective way of getting more out of him, nor does it send the right message to the other people who actually are performing well.

​Agreed.  I was assuming that Ron's praise WAS sincere.  Didn't mean to make it sound otherwise.  I was just surprised by his comments yesterday since others had not singled out Hill as one having a lot of success.

​Agreed.  I was assuming that Ron's praise WAS sincere.  Didn't mean to make it sound otherwise.  I was just surprised by his comments yesterday since others had not singled out Hill as one having a lot of success.

​I agree and didnt think you thought otherwise, Ron must have really meant what he said.  It is interesting.

Stephen Hill has been hot and cold throughout the offseason workouts. Today, he finished on a low. 

During drills with the quarterbacks, receivers were practicing catching passes in the corner of the end zone. All receivers did well, except for Hill. 

In his first attempt, Hill leaped up for the ball, but could not bring it down. The coaches gave him another try...same pass, same drop, same result. 

Finally, as the rest of the team headed to mid field for the next drill, Joe Webb asked Hill to just stand there in the corner of the end zone and catch a pass. That too was a dropped ball by Hill. 

Things did not improve for Hill during team drills either, He continued to drop catchable balls. 

Dropped passes have plagued Hill's career thus far. It appears those questions won't be answered positively now that offseason workouts are over. Maybe training camp? 

​LOL, ok... now I'm going to hand you the ball and see if you can hold onto it. 

Archived