• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corvey Irvin to IR???

scpanther22

Regardless of who has to go, it was and is inevitable that room will be made for a veteran FA. Practice squad, IR, PUP...it wouldn't matter, space would be cleared for someone with more experience. The only locks to make the roster were Lewis and Hayden (now Leonard). Irvin and Favorite just had numbers in their favor, not necessarily because either were have an outstanding camp.

I wouldn't do it myself unless he's legitimately injured badly enough to go on IR.

If he's on IR, that means they have to get someone else, which means both paying him and the replacement. Not the best move for a cap-strapped team, especially if the replacement is a guy that's just going to be inactive anyway.

I do think they'll get another DT, but I'm not on board with putting Irvin or IR. Just deactivate him.

Regardless of who has to go, it was and is inevitable that room will be made for a veteran FA. Practice squad, IR, PUP...it wouldn't matter, space would be cleared for someone with more experience. The only locks to make the roster were Lewis and Hayden (now Leonard). Irvin and Favorite just had numbers in their favor, not necessarily because either were have an outstanding camp.

I think Favorite should make it over Hayden..but we might be able to get him on the PS

I don't think Hayden is eligible for the PS. Once you've logged so much game experience, it disquailfies a player for the PS. I'm not sure of the number of games, but Hayden did play a good bit last year.

ok..but if i had to choose i would go with Favorite over Hayden to make the roster.

I wouldn't do it myself unless he's legitimately injured badly enough to go on IR.

If he's on IR, that means they have to get someone else, which means both paying him and the replacement. Not the best move for a cap-strapped team, especially if the replacement is a guy that's just going to be inactive anyway.

I do think they'll get another DT, but I'm not on board with putting Irvin or IR. Just deactivate him.

this.

i wouldn't mind it. it would hurt the cap a little but we could use the roster spot to bring in someone with a bit more experience. use this year as a redshirt for him and let him learn.

he wouldn't be contributing much this year anyway.

i agree this makes boone more of a possibility. i would rather have boone in there this year than irvin. he's a bit more reliable.

ok..but if i had to choose i would go with Favorite over Hayden to make the roster.

Gantt says Hayden IS eligable for the PS. The criteria is no more than 9 games played in any one season and no more than three years on the PS.

Apparently Hayden didn't play in 9 games last year.

i wouldn't mind it. it would hurt the cap a little but we could use the roster spot to bring in someone with a bit more experience. use this year as a redshirt for him and let him learn.

he wouldn't be contributing much this year anyway.

i agree this makes boone more of a possibility. i would rather have boone in there this year than irvin. he's a bit more reliable.

i agree. i think Irvin can be a good dt but hes not ready yet. i just wonder if we put him on ir would we try to reach some kind of injury settlement with kemo and release him? not sure what type of cap hit we would take but i dont see him bein on the team next year.

I don't think Gantt was being fair to Irvin or really showing an understanding of the roles each DT plays. Irvin is Lewis' backup. He's not competing with Hayden, Favorite, or even Leonard for time. So to simply assume he would not get playing time is not necessarily true. It's possible he could have been inactive on game days, but, IIRC, we typically keep 4 DT's active, despite Brayton or Johnson occasionally playing DT on passing downs. So if that holds true, then Irvin would most likely be active playing behind Lewis.

But to me, the biggest issue is that going on IR would stunt his growth a bit. Even if he would end up inactive on game days, he would still be getting invaluable practice time and a chance to continue working on things. In no way does sitting in the film room or meetings give a player anywhere near the same opportunity to work on your game as getting on the field with the team. And since IR'd players are not allowed to participate in any way at practice, even if they get healthy, it would hurt Irvin's development a little...particularly since he is still a raw DT. Of course it wouldn't be insurmountable, but it wouldn't be good for him either.

I thought Irvin looked pretty darn good last night. It amazes that people say he hasn't made any plays, and then when you point out that he did, they say "well it was against back ups". You know, these rookie players don't get to choose who they're playing against in the pre season. Brown, Goodson, Munnerlyn, and Kenny Moore have made a lot of their plays against back ups too.

Archived