• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Eight In The Box

DevilCat

Yep, you know Philly will bring it to slow down D-Will (I would add J-Stew...but who the hell knows). My concern is:does Jake have enough time. The chip blocking in pre-season by our RBs has been poor at best. Even with Hoover back their Im wondering if Jake gets enough time. This is not a slap at our O-line, it's just a fact that Sean McDermott knows the key to stopping our O is stopping D-Will.

The Philly defense has traditionally been a blitz heavy defense. Their longtime Defensive Coordinator was famous for his complex blitzing schemes, but he passed away this summer.

I'm not sure what his passing will mean for the Philly defense, whether his heir will keep up the pressure or if the genius has gone completely.

Whichever is the case, I do believe that we need to get back to dictating the pace of the game rather than taking what the defenses give. A lot of that will depend on our running game, which I believe looks strong.

And a blitz is an opening for Steve Smith, especially with the smoke passes. If Jake can get a full dropback.

We certainly have the personnel to handle some quick dunks with Moose, Jarrett and a couple of good tight ends. The question is will it get called, instead of run up the middle, and will they execute. Jake has looked good, but some passes have been dropped. I'd like to see Jarrett used in this role more, as he's tall and can hold on to the ball. We'll see...

^^ Thats my point CR, are we saying that the game boils down to Jake vs. Phillys secondary?

In some games it will be like that. There is nothing we can do about it unless we sub in a backup who we feel is better for the intermediate dink and dunk game.

We cannot think it's impossible though. Barnidge and Rosario could make them pay with a quick chip....as long as Jake can get the ball out.

It's football and it's not supposed to be easy and nobosy is supposed to be able to tell the other team what they are gonna do and that team be rendered ineffective. We have to watch and see...AND HOPE a little instead of writing everything off.

How in the hell are we supposed to enjoy it if we walk around bitching. Now that we have an o-line and a stable of runners I will remain optimistic.

You can fully expect every team to stack the box against us until Jake can make them pay for it. The blueprint on how to defend our offense was written Jan. 10th 2009.Now every team has a copy. Jake is def. going to have to win games for us, question is ... can he?

We want them to stack eight in the box to get our WRs or TEs to make plays I thought.

Ideally that would be nice. But when has Jake ever thrown to a TE in a regular season game? Stacking 8 in the box seems to stifle our passing game and not make it better. It "should" be the other way around.

Ideally that would be nice. But when has Jake ever thrown to a TE in a regular season game? Stacking 8 in the box seems to stifle our passing game and not make it better. It "should" be the other way around.

Hmmm...

*points to title*

Well I guess we'll have to hope that things work out differently this season when they do so I guess.

We are going to learn so much about our team this year. Can Jake read and react to defenses and find the open man or just force the ball to Smitty ala 1/10/09? Can D-Will still rush for 4 yds. a carry against stacked lines(boxes)? Does Davidson have the creativity to overcome the defenses we will almost assuredly be seeing and will Fox allow him to implicate the creative playcalling needed. Stay tuned,answers will be forthcoming in about a week. Go Panthers!

Archived