• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brenston Buckner

pantherdad

Nah, dirty players harken back to the Deacon Jones and Jack Lambert days. Guys that would hold a lineman's face in the mud for a wee bit after the play was over. Guys that would try to break fingers of their opponents as they tackled them. Guys that kept a blob of Atomic Balm on their pants leg so they could get it on their fingers and then gouge people's eyes in fumble piles.

Yanno, the great ones!

Brentson held every chance he could get (and got called for it a lot in his final season), but he wasn't dirty at the epic level. Mean? Yes. Vicious? Not quite.

He ain't Haynesworth or Kreutz. But he was no Bruschi either.

Guys played dirty back then because half of them were as "in shape" as your neighbor. They'd literally drink a 12-pack after the game. And they didn't make that much money, either.

He certainly could do no worse than Mike Rucker.... who seems to not know the names of half the guys he played with and even less about sentence structure and how to make sense.

Rucker hasn't been that bad considering it is his first experience at doing game commentary. Give him a few years and he will be fine. Steve Beuerlein was 10x worse than Rucker when he started, and he is quite good now.

Buckner was always known as a great locker room interview during his playing days. I'm just amazed he hasn't made the jump to TV yet. Someday, maybe.

As a player, Buckner was a really good DT, but not a monstrously great one. He didn't have the size or freakish strength of the great ones. What he did have was a good head on his shoulders and an absolute desire to get the better of his opponents, whatever it took. He was the master of the well-hidden hold as well as great at reading cues and signals for snap counts.

He still wasn't what qualifies as a dirty player, though. He wouldn't kick a man that was down... but he might jab him a couple of times as he fell, though.

I do miss seeing him on the field. He and Jenkins were magic on the field together.

I can only listen to him for about ten minutes before his poor grammar, mixed metaphors, and failed attempts to use big words send me to another channel. And Frank Garcia is also very poor; I hated the way he used to have a go at Dan Morgan when Morgan was having the concussion issues.

Anything to get him off the radio. I honestly cannot understand what he's trying to say MOST of the time. I get that he isn't a radio professional and he's there to offer perspective from a former player, but his grammar is worse than a 4th grader's.

The sad thing is that I think he was an English major in college. Or maybe that was a joke that I heard and I thought they were serious when I heard/read it.

What makes people think that Buckner could coach an NFL team in the first place? It's a hell of lot easier to to go on the radio to criticize and make fun of people everyday than it is to lead people and have to answer for your own decisions.

lol

i'm not going to get involved in a discussion of whether he should be a coach but don't go and say he's never proven himself a leader before

He certainly could do no worse than Mike Rucker.... who seems to not know the names of half the guys he played with and even less about sentence structure and how to make sense.

Mike: "What did you think about that play, Mr. Rucker".

Rucker: "Well, Jarrod Gross got him a good stop on that end play and it's about the "want to" and Jarrod put it on right there. It's good to see first team linebackers make them kind of blocks, because you know it goes from the players right down to the coaches".

i hope this isnt defending mike morgan... if i hear him call dante rasario rasario dawson one more time, im revoking his play by play card... should have been taken a long time ago

and as far as buck being the coach, no

he hates the panthers... had a sour taste in his mouth since we didnt resign him/cut him and it should have hit home for him when no other team came calling, instead he just has a blind hatred to the panthers and the front office... has a huge man crush on jenks and quite honestly changes his points of views on several other football issues... not to mention he cant speak... ala rucker and garcia...

edit: forgot the main reason i cant stand listening to him or garcia is when someone is on the phone making a decent point against them, they just say thanks for the call hang up and then talk about why they think that caller was an idiot.... admit you maky be wrong, or in the least that this caller has his right to an opinion...

Archived