• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Observer agrees on Brown and Boykin

Jeremy Igo

For most positions I agree. 

But for receivers.... if a player cannot focus and catch balls without pads in practice.....well....ask Tiquan Underwood how that worked out for him last year. 

And not that I don't think it's interesting to see your thoughts. I just think people put too much on it this time of year. 

What I get from your observations and others is that Brown looks improved and impressive and Funchess seems to be what the team hoped so far.  

And not that I don't think it's interesting to see your thoughts. I just think people put too much on it this time of year. 

What I get from your observations and others is that Brown looks improved and impressive and Funchess seems to be what the team hoped so far.  

​Yep, and that could definitely change. 

However, receivers rarely if every improve once pads are on and hitting is allowed. I can't remember any. 

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article23882377.html Corey Brown named as a standout player. Boykin named as having more work to do. Pretty much what I have said throughout OTAs. As for naming the defensive players as standouts, pretty difficult to do with no contact allowed, especially defensive ends.

​Just based on drills the one day I was there, I was really impressed with a few things I saw from Colin Jones.  He is an athlete.  Not real surprising that he would do well in that format, if you think about it.

This (in my estimation) would have been the opportunity to see Hill's progress.  I am not sure that he has progressed enough.

----

I think it is important to note that the best 6 WRs are not necessarily your roster WRs.  You want the group that gives you the most versatility and matchup concerns.

Benjamin is the 6'5" #1 WR.  That has been established.  However, with Funchess, he should see more balanced coverage, making it easier to throw to him with the S in check. 

Funchess is the matchup nightmare because he can play everywhere.  I think the S will have to know where he is at all times because I see huge mismatches with certain personnel groups.

Brown might just be the #3 slot WR who shares the job with Cotchery.

Finally, Bersin is a possession WR who has shown that he can catch over the middle and move the chains.  He is really the only big WR we have who can say that.  Good routes, good hands, not bad at all for a #5/6.

Ginn is dangerous deep and can return punts.  Nuff said.

Who is going to be #3 above Ginn or Brown?  Surely they aren't thinking Cotchery.

​Cotchery will not be forced to be the #2 WR any more. If he plays #3, then I think you will like the results more than last year.  I still see (based on Jeremy's reports and what I saw at 1 OTA) Benji, Funchess, and Brown as the top 3--in June.

The way OTAs have been going I think it's going to be

KB

Funchess

Brown

Ginn

Bersin

Idk if Cotch and Hill make the team anymore 

​that is a pretty damn good line up... if this is how it sorts out, i will be ecstatic.

im hoping that Damiere Byrd balls out and sneaks into the sixth spot. will be hard for him to beat out cotchery for a sixth WR spot.

my gawd i am so excited for this season. Benji, Funch, Ginn, Philly, BB, Greg, Dickson, healthy Superman, JStew, CAP... with 4/5 of our OL playing above average. OMG our offense will be exciting this year! add a top-10 defense and this team could compete for SB50... O.o

Archived