• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Observer agrees on Brown and Boykin

Jeremy Igo

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article23882377.html Corey Brown named as a standout player. Boykin named as having more work to do. Pretty much what I have said throughout OTAs. As for naming the defensive players as standouts, pretty difficult to do with no contact allowed, especially defensive ends.

Who is going to be #3 above Ginn or Brown?  Surely they aren't thinking Cotchery.

I hope they're thinking Funchess.  I hear people say he will play outside and brown goes to the slot, but I think the goal is the opposite, brown outside and Funch inside to give us the best mismatches (benji against press, brown against a slower #2 cb, and Funch against a smaller nickel corner) without putting guys in roles they can't handle.  I'm really interested to see how this lineup is used.

I hope they're thinking Funchess.  I hear people say he will play outside and brown goes to the slot, but I think the goal is the opposite, brown outside and Funch inside to give us the best mismatches (benji against press, brown against a slower #2 cb, and Funch against a smaller nickel corner) without putting guys in roles they can't handle.  I'm really interested to see how this lineup is used.

​Funch and Brown will both move around a lot in different formations--neither will be a set outside receiver or set slot receiver. If Funch improves his getting off of the jam at the line, I could see him at the X when Benji is resting. Last year when Benji went out it was typically Bersin at the X, so Funch is definitely an improvement there. In terms of # of snaps I see it being KB then Funch then Philly then Bersin/Ginn about equal. I bet rotoworld thinks it'll be KB then Funch then Cotch then Philly/Ginn.

The way I read it, they thought Ginn and Brown were battling for #4, implying that neither were in contention for #3.

True clarity will gradually come into focus when the pads come on and actual games are played.

I agree. I don't recall worrying about depth charts in OTAs. This will lead to some epic bitch fests when the real ones unfold.

it hardly means anything without reference to positions and packages. 

Archived