• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Funchess Hips

Jeremy Igo

I always thought the kid was slow and could be lazy in his routes. He could also be ridden out of plays if guys stayed on their blocks. But then again, as a State fan, it was easy to find excuses to hate someone playing on that team. I saw Darquez Dennard knock him back two steps with a two hand jam to the chest. Or Jones, with a two handed shove so violent, it knocked Funchess off is feet.

But...he can get yards after the catch. It's almost as if his utter distain for contact has heightened his ability to both see, and set up, the path of least resistance. There will be times while watching him run around, when you will swear that you are actually watching Cam. They both have that innate ability to know exactly where to go, how to go about getting there, and how far they stretch it before they really needs to get down, to take the least amount of punishment. While simultaneously analyzing vectors, running cost/benefits scenarios, and planning escape routes.

Funchess's is a 6'4 ex basketball player who too many miscast as a TE. As he rarely played TE, he was considered a bust. The kid is athletic and smart. If he plays to potential, I can live with that.

I think he might just be a better WR than Kelvin Benjamin was last year. Imagine having two WRs being of that size with that much playmaking ability!

​Well, Shula and Rivera are going to have to learn to spread the ball around for a change, if you wanna/gonna keep all these guys happy.

In other words: If Cam has 4000+ yards next year, so be it. Don't slow down the offense, just to hang on to some cliched way of playing.

Name of the game is to score more points.

Let the defense prevent them. And let the offense score them when they can (which will only help the defense and pass rush).

My concern after watching his highlights was the transition from catching slow ducks to Cam's lasers. 

I'll wait for live action in full pads before l jump the bandwagon, but I'll admit l'm looking for a seat already. 

This is why I'm glad he's at OTA's and we still have the rest of the preseason process to go through.

Jerry Rice's time in the 40 yard dash was 4.71 seconds and Michael Irvin's was 4.52

​Both of those thugs had substance abuse problems. Irvin's was lines of coke off a stripper's a$$ and Rice's was stickum. Jerry could never set that bottle down and walk away for some reason....

With so many prospects out there each year, the scouts and the talking heads are going to miss a few gems. And sometimes, out of laziness, they are going to take the word of someone else, who may have also been taking someone else's word on a prospect. I think we're going to be really, really glad that everyone overlooked our guy except for us.

We won't know what we've got until about the mid-point in the season, but I think he'll be getting Benjamin-level accolades as a rookie before the end of the season.

With so many prospects out there each year, the scouts and the talking heads are going to miss a few gems. And sometimes, out of laziness, they are going to take the word of someone else, who may have also been taking someone else's word on a prospect. I think we're going to be really, really glad that everyone overlooked our guy except for us.

We won't know what we've got until about the mid-point in the season, but I think he'll be getting Benjamin-level accolades as a rookie before the end of the season.

​Although to be fair, we moved up in the 2nd rd to get him because I believe reports were that he was going to be gone. Even at that pick in the 2nd. Other teams wanted him right there. So I don't think we were the only team who saw something in him.

Ive mainly heard that he's not very physical despite his size. That he gets manhandled by smaller corners and tackled easily after the catch. Hips were never really a concern of mine. But hey, its good to know that his are fine.

​Just last week he bodied up Peanut for a contested grab.  Left Tillman very frustrated, and he's a very large corner.

​Just last week he bodied up Peanut for a contested grab.  Left Tillman very frustrated, and he's a very large corner.

​I so love reading this for two reasons.  Funchess making a great catch and Tillman a Panther.  Life is good in the offseason.

Archived