• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Funchess Hips

Jeremy Igo

Many of you folks were knocking the Funchess draft pick early on, claiming he was slow and unable to turn his hips. 

In live action, I can tell you exactly the opposite is true. Good speed and turns his hips to the ball well while still moving forward.

How were so many scouting reports so far off? 

panthersotas-9.thumb.jpg.cfb1fe111ebba99

Many of you folks were knocking the Funchess draft pick early on, claiming he was slow and unable to turn his hips. 

In live action, I can tell you exactly the opposite is true. Good speed and turns his hips to the ball well while still moving forward.

How were so many scouting reports so far off? 

​Might have something to do with the Michigan QB being a converted WR. Not many quality throws came his way.

There are so many prospects I'm not sure there would be enough time to watch enough tape on all the players to accurately write an original scouting report. These guys just share information and paraphrase one another to make it seem unique.

Plus I'm sure people professionally writing the reports for major scouting websites are trying to do so while simultaneously being jerked around by their boss and told how they need to do a laundry list of tasks unrelated to their job title...

...like most of us...

Most of the analyst didn't even know who funchess was. The day before we drafted him, there was an NFL Network analyst who said "a friend" told him to check out Funchess that same day. He put the tape on and thought he was a real sleeper that many analyst had over looked. Point being, these clowns just talk about the sexy picks and hardly know about guys like Funchess. Good thing DG and his scouting guys actually know what they are doing.

Bad QB +Bad year for Mich football +Injury = scouts not really looking at flim on him and just throw something together.

Disagree, I'd say scouts knew about him all along. The talking heads who profess to know everything proved the exact opposite.

Only a couple guys on TV are worth listening to.

Personally, I believe it's because all the writers and TV analysts spend about 90% of their time studying, talking, and writing about the top ten picks, especially the QB's, and all the other prospects are an afterthought to them. I can kind of understand why ESPN does that, since they cover all of the sports world, but the NFL Network should be better than that, IMO.   

there were some concerns with his routes, and big receivers with somewhat sloppy routes tend to get called stiff in the hips.  Happens with big corners, where it's more easily visible in the transition from backpedal to sprint.  For receivers, that action isn't necessary (I honestly don't know what "turns his hips to the ball" is to mean), it's whether he can sink his hips during cuts, making the route easier to run and showing that necessary flexibility. 

With Funchess it looks that way because he strides fairly effortlessly.  Not unlike Benjamin or Newton, that long, slow looking stride is deceiving.   As well, not unlike Benjamin, you have a massive specimen whose tape grades out well, but then he doesn't run a 4.35 so people want to downgrade him.  Since that's not necessarily realistic, there has to be a reason for a player to drop, so they attach the most likely "reason".  

Archived