• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Offense was eating today

CelibatePimp

This is probably old news and I'm late to the game, but is Funchess going to be wearing #17? I can't help but think Delhomme when I see the 17.

I dont think thats gonna change, my friend. I dont think Jake's number is going to get retired and we're over the 5 year mark.

Gman said that Big Men allow you to compete. He sure sticks to his guns. Gotta give him credit for that. There are Big Guys all over the dad gum field. Makes me wonder where he is headed with the DBs? After all, it is proven you can be too Big for those positions. Where is his cut off point? I guess he wants his guys to be as big as possible, while still being able to play.

So this is how it feels to have an actual competent football guy in charge. All I really know is that I wish Gman had come along earlier.

​Let's not sell Marty Hurney short.  In his day, he was one hell of a reporter.

​Cam and Benji at 6'5" 245 Funchess 6'4" 225 is tough to defend. Size-wise, in the company of Calvin Johnson 6'5" 236, Vincent Jackson 6'5" 230, Mike Evans 6'5" 231, A.J. Green 6'4" 207, Julio Jones 6'3" 220, and Dez Bryant 6'2" 222. Not comparing talent (yet), but our guys have the size.

I think it is going to be fun once training camp gets here and our stellar defense has to deal with the 3 headed 6'5" monsters in KB, Fun and Greg.

​I was gonna comment about Olsen as well... those are some really, really tall targets.

​Let's not sell Marty Hurney short.  In his day, he was one hell of a reporter.

Salary cap woes aside, ​I'm reserving judgement for a few years considering the fact that most of the team (and some of our best players in Cam, Olsen, and Kuechly) are Hurney guys. 

​Cam and Benji at 6'5" 245 Funchess 6'4" 225 is tough to defend. Size-wise, in the company of Calvin Johnson 6'5" 236, Vincent Jackson 6'5" 230, Mike Evans 6'5" 231, A.J. Green 6'4" 207, Julio Jones 6'3" 220, and Dez Bryant 6'2" 222. Not comparing talent (yet), but our guys have the size.

​People, love to quote Cam at 6'5" 245. But that his old College weight, probably from Junior college even. Everyone who meets Cam (and even he on occasion), has said he's almost 6'6", and 260 lbs. At his best weight Cam's probably in the 250's.

Salary cap woes aside, ​I'm reserving judgement for a few years considering the fact that most of the team (and some of our best players in Cam, Olsen, and Kuechly) are Hurney guys. 

​Hurney did some good things (Cam, Luke, 1st rd draft picks, etc.).

However, it was the not so good and bad things (2nd, 3rd rd, etc.; new contracts, irrespective of Salary cap) that did both him and the Panthers in.

​He was pretty good in the first round of the draft because he drafted pretty safe positions.  How many good DTs did he bring in during his 10-year career?  WRs?   How many good CBs did he draft in 10 years?  (a: 1, maybe 2 if you count Richard Marshall).  You can't ignore key positions.

He lost me when he overpaid an aging Delhomme after having surgery.  Then he started drafting injured players (Stewart, Hogan) , and trading up in the draft for busts (Otah, Edwards, Brown). 

Heck, even his FA's busted here for the most part, save Olsen, which was a good move.

But when he was given the company credit card to make this team better in 2010, and he spent it all overpaying existing players from a 2-14 team,  he sealed his fate.  All you have to do is look at the $$ we paid Charles Godfrey and our RBs to see that he was losing it.  Charles Johnson had 1 other suitor, Atlanta--a cash-strapped team--and he still overpaid. 

Gettlemen has already matched Hurney in terms of finding quality UDFAs and, in my opinion, will probably have drafted as many key starters in 5 years as Hurney did. 

Finally, Marty Hurney had the core that went to the 2003 super bowl and he 2005 NFC title game--and the playoffs in 2008--when he arrived.  the losing we experienced from 2010-2012 was a direct result of his inability to draft deep and the players that he inherited aging out.  It was also compounded by the salary cap hell.  Gettlemen had a completely different situation--he had no talent to ride and no $$ to spend---and he won 20 games in the first 2 years.  Night and Day.

Archived