• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My QB classification

CelibatePimp

I meant to say career. It should be obvious to you that this ranking cannot be based on any individual season. Also, I started this because of the exact reason. Some QBs have wins but are not that good, hence the combination of those three to classify the QB.

We also had a bad NFCS last year, by your logic Cam should have beaten up on NO and ATL but we split with them.

​I figured you would counter with this argument about our division last year.

Up until last year, the NFC South was considered one of the toughest in football.

But I'm not giving Newton a pass, just like I'm not giving Luck a pass. All I'm saying is, if you are going to apply that reasoning for one guy, apply it for all.

Might move Eli up just a bit, those two Super Bowl rings are worth something. Cam should move up this year.

​Cam should move up this year with a winning season and an improvement on his throws. I struggled with Eli, sometimes he looks like a QB, other times he is just plain terrible. Some could argue that those rings should indeed count for something.

​Maybe not a game manager. Let me say he is not asked to do much and thus does not have the passing production to be properly judged. If he were to throw more a game, I have a feeling he would play more like he did in NFCCG vs GB.

​I kind of wonder how Wilson would look in that offense without a consistent run threat, like Newton has had at times here. Wilson has not had a season without a 1,000+ yard RB. Newton in 4 years has still yet to see one RB with 1,000 yards on the ground. It certainly makes a big difference.

But Wilson still does things that boggle my mind at times. The guy is good, call it luck if you want, but he does it so often that I don't think you can just attribute it to that.

​I kind of wonder how Wilson would look in that offense without a consistent run threat, like Newton has had at times here. Wilson has not had a season without a 1,000+ yard RB. Newton in 4 years has still yet to see one RB with 1,000 yards on the ground. It certainly makes a big difference.

But Wilson still does things that boggle my mind at times. The guy is good, call it luck if you want, but he does it so often that I don't think you can just attribute it to that.

​I think what Wilson has is the ability to process information quickly and accurately, which gives him a chance to make up for some skills that aren't at elite level. He instinctively has something there that it takes QBs sometimes five or more years to really get. It's that whole "the game slows down for them" moment that happens in good pro careers. He seems to have been born with it.

Cam's reaching or has reached that instinctive point now, we might now see the W-L gap between the two close some.

I can't state this enough, I just want to also point out the flaw in chastising another QB for lack of wins, but touting Luck for beating up on the AFC South half the season each year.

Only 16/43 of Luck's touchdowns were against teams in the AFC south last year. That's 2.67 TDs per game. That means that Luck scored 2.70 TDs against other opponents a game. He also put up 288.83 YPG against division rivals which was lower than his 302.8 against everyone else. So to say he beat up on the AFC south for at least this year is wrong. And excuse me if any of these numbers are wrong, I calculated it on my phone.

Only 16/43 of Luck's touchdowns were against teams in the AFC south last year. That's 2.67 TDs per game. That means that Luck scored 2.70 TDs against other opponents a game. He also put up 288.83 YPG against division rivals which was lower than his 302.8 against everyone else. So to say he beat up on the AFC south for at least this year is wrong. And excuse me if any of these numbers are wrong, I calculated it on my phone.

I was speaking in regards to career wins against the AFC South, not stats.

I'm not trying to knock Luck, I've already stated the guy is damn good. The post was a response to logic used in the OP about wins for one QB being "great" versus another who supposedly relies only on talent around him to win.

Stats - A good QB should be able to put up good passing numbers in totality, yds, TDs, INT and rating

Wins - A good QB should help his team win. It's a team game I know but elite QBs can elevate the talent around them and mask team deficiencies.

Eye test - Some QBs have the above listed two but then you realize they are on a stacked team that masks their deficiencies well. They just don't seem to play right

Elite - Has all three AND a ring

Great - has the eye test and the wins

Good - has the stats and eye test or the wins and stats and mostly dependent on talent around him to produce

Might need to draft a QB soon - lacks stats and the eye test

Elite - Rodgers, Brady, Manning, Brees,

Great - Big Ben, Phillip Rivers, Luck

Good - Eli, Cam, Wilson, Dalton, Stafford, Romo, Palmer, Ryan, Flacco

Might need to draft a QB soon - everyone else

​Everyone is so focused on the Cam vs Luck debate, they completely missed the fact that you hid Andy Dalton in the middle of the "Good" category.

I was speaking in regards to career wins against the AFC South, not stats.

I'm not trying to knock Luck, I've already stated the guy is damn good. The post was a response to logic used in the OP about wins for one QB being "great" versus another who supposedly relies only on talent around him to win.

Oh sorry, I was reading your comment without any context. I thought you were implying that he just racks up stats against bad teams. My bad.

Archived