• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sums up Cam's deal pretty nicely

Jeremy Igo

As is the case with many quarterbacks -- usually more than most like to admit -- the success of Newton will hinge on how the rest of the roster is built. Newton had a new top receiver during 2014 in Kelvin Benjamin, and will need to get used to a new number-two guy in Devin Funchess in 2015. That will also come behind an offensive line that is expected to feature Michael Oher at left tackle. That’s not preferable for any quarterback, let alone one sacked on 7.8 percent on his drop backs last season.

To this point, Newton has shown the ability to lead the team on his own when needed. That’s something to look for with all too used “franchise player” designation, and something that can’t be said about enough of the newly paid quarterbacks over the past few seasons. Think to yourself the last time you thought Cincinnati won a game because of Andy Dalton, or the Chiefs won a game because of Alex Smith. Then go watch Newton’s Week 9 game against the Bengals this past season and wonder if Carolina feels comfortable with their investment.

Newton has been much better in his career than many have given him credit for. Out of the new mid-tier of extended quarterbacks, Newton sits on the top of the list of players likely to live up to the deal.

https://www.numberfire.com/nfl/news/5415/cam-newton-s-new-deal-is-really-not-as-bad-as-you-think

Fairly unbiased take on the contract. 

He has a point. The Panthers have won games because of Cam Newton and despite inferior O-Line and play calling. Not many QBs can claim that. 

The fact that Cam has broken ANY records with the supporting cast he has had speaks for itself. He already earned every Penny IMO. The best part is, that he has barely scratched the surface to what he has yet to do.

​To be fair his line and receivers in 2011 were pretty damn good. Not elite or top 5 or anything like that, but to say that was a bad supporting cast would be unfair. The defense though, is another story.

​To be fair his line and receivers in 2011 were pretty damn good. Not elite or top 5 or anything like that, but to say that was a bad supporting cast would be unfair. The defense though, is another story.

Who? Legadu nanee and lafell? Shockey was a great piece but the receivers were pretty bad

I understand what you're saying, but I was referring to the whole picture to include the O-line.

Statistically speaking he's been hit more than any QB since he's been in the League.  It's not even close either if you look at the stats/comparisons.

In that regard, it almost makes, no, it doesn't almost make, it absolutely makes what he has done with what he had had all the more impressive!

I think it's fair to say, that we ALL can't wait to see what he does with the plethora of talent at the WR position. I believe I'm correct in the assumption that he will most likely have his best year yet, due to him being healthy and the addition Funchess.

Lord knows we can't wait to see the show he's about to put on.

Archived