• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Do you think Josh Norman will be here next season?

CelibatePimp

I really really truly want to be a Josh Norman fan. The kid has all the tools to be a top flight corner. And he is coming off a really fantastic year. Lest we forget his ability to "Keep the lines of communication open" so to say. Which is all well and good for us fans, but really does drive some WRs crazy. 

Throw in teh innate timing that allows him to fly through the air for a flying chest bump, great play, piling on sort of thing. Only to have everyone move and there be nobody their to meet him. Those alone are worth the price of keeping him around.

Teamed with Bene, and now Peanut, I do see our 3 man rotation being as good as anybody out there.

But...I just cannot for the life of me let go of that last ounce of fear. Fear that he will somehow, at the most inopportune moment, revert to "WTF?" Josh.

Signing him now, imo, would be the most prudent avenue. You can probably save a mil or two over the life of the contract. The only downfall is that you are betting on a one year wonder. As long as Josh continues to improve, and he doesn't get greedy, he can be a member of this team for a long time. And you have made a wise decision.

Wait a year and let him play on a prove it contingency, and it could cost you big time. At the least. it cost you more money. At worst it cost you the player, cuz you got outbid. Not a good thing either way.

As to one OP thought. No. I don't believe that Rivera and Co. consider the DB positions to be plug and play. Our auditioning a poo ton of DBs should attest to that. I guess we will see with how they handle Josh now. Do they sign Josh now, and solidify the CB position for years to come? Or do they roll the dice and let it play out?

How they handle Josh could say a lot of how they feel about the DB, or more specifically the CB position.

Sheew. I'm spent. Thanks for listening. You're a good friend.

Both options here make sense.

Norman has shown no indication he wants out and he's shown he has the talent to warrant staying here, but at the same time, he's been very inconsistent, at times ending up in the doghouse. I think you let him play out this year and if he continues to build on his strong finish to last season, give him his money.

Signing him now, imo, would be the most prudent avenue. You can probably save a mil or two over the life of the contract.

​huh? We could reasonably get him at $5-6M/year right now if he and his agent(s) would be willing to sign at all this offseason. If we wait until next year and he plays like he showed he can last year (holding Julio, Mike Evans, Josh Gordon, etc. all to low yards/tds), he could be demanding $10M+/year as a shutdown corner. It would be a gamble considering he's only played at an elite level for ~12 games, but the reward would be well worth the risk. I would offer him a 5 year, $25M with $10M guaranteed (similar to the one Mike Mitchell got from the Steelers), and I think he'd accept that.

LoL @ all of you guys who think Dave Gettleman, the man who drools over pass rushers, is gonna get rid of a 29yo DE that has been elite for 5 consecutive years and give an extension to a 27yo CB who was garbage for 2 years and good for just 1 year.

​CJ has been one of the most consistently above average DEs for most of his career but to say he's been elite for 5 years is outrageous. He's never been an all-pro or even a pro-bowler (popularity contest or not, truly elite players make it often). And he may be 29 but he's had a lot of wear and tear. He's not going to be getting much better now and age will catch up with him sooner than later. I want to keep him badly, depending on the money, but there's no way he's more of a priority than Josh. Josh played like an elite shutdown corner for every game he played in last year. He was bad his rookie year and didn't play at all the year after because he was in the doghouse. We can get him locked up for significantly less than a shutdown corner would demand if we sign him this offseason, and that would be huge as his play down the stretch was crucial to our late run. Yes, he's 27 but he doesn't have anywhere near the wear and tear on his body that CJ does, and DBs typically play well into their 30s. Norman is the best corner we've had since Gamble and could possibly be better. It would be stupid to let him go. Best case scenario, we extend both on team-friendly deals, but if we can only go with one it has to be Josh. And DG knows that.

Norman played really well last year. Football Outsiders did their annual Best CB stats and these are the names Norman was mixed in with. He is in some elite company for 2014. If he maintains this level of performance, he's going to get paid well. Probably for another team. :(

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2015/best-cornerback-stats-2014

OT: Didn't realize this, but Chris Harris gave up ZERO touchdowns last year. ZERO.

Edit: Thank Zod that we have table formatting now in our posts with the forum update.

Top Leading Role Cornerbacks by Adjusted Success Rate 2014
PlayerTeamGames
Started
Charted
Targets
Pct Team
Snaps
Est
Tgt%
RkAdj
Yds/Pass
RkAdj Success
Rate
Rk
Darrelle RevisNE166992.8%17.0%17.31262%1
Vontae DavisIND157078.6%22.9%96.8861%2
Chris HarrisDEN167591.3%17.2%25.1159%3
Josh NormanCAR106261.5%24.8%185.1259%4
Richard ShermanSEA166298.7%17.5%36.5759%5
Brandon FlowersSD146877.9%23.9%158.92659%6
Sam ShieldsGB146875.0%23.5%127.81858%7

​huh? We could reasonably get him at $5-6M/year right now if he and his agent(s) would be willing to sign at all this offseason. If we wait until next year and he plays like he showed he can last year (holding Julio, Mike Evans, Josh Gordon, etc. all to low yards/tds), he could be demanding $10M+/year as a shutdown corner. It would be a gamble considering he's only played at an elite level for ~12 games, but the reward would be well worth the risk. I would offer him a 5 year, $25M with $10M guaranteed (similar to the one Mike Mitchell got from the Steelers), and I think he'd accept that.

​I like 4 yrs $20M with $8M guaranteed. I would be pretty happy with that scenario. I want him to stay for sure...and how cool he was at the draft party has nothing to do with it.

well...a little

Um...you agree with my stance. You do realize we are on the same page? Hence why I said it would be prudent, as in "Self Serving" to sign Josh now. I could have used, millions instead of 1or 2 mil. Other than that. Goooooooo Cats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CJ has been one of the most consistently above average DEs for most of his career but to say he's been elite for 5 years is outrageous. He's never been an all-pro or even a pro-bowler (popularity contest or not, truly elite players make it often). And he may be 29 but he's had a lot of wear and tear. He's not going to be getting much better now and age will catch up with him sooner than later. I want to keep him badly, depending on the money, but there's no way he's more of a priority than Josh. Josh played like an elite shutdown corner for every game he played in last year. He was bad his rookie year and didn't play at all the year after because he was in the doghouse. We can get him locked up for significantly less than a shutdown corner would demand if we sign him this offseason, and that would be huge as his play down the stretch was crucial to our late run. Yes, he's 27 but he doesn't have anywhere near the wear and tear on his body that CJ does, and DBs typically play well into their 30s. Norman is the best corner we've had since Gamble and could possibly be better. It would be stupid to let him go. Best case scenario, we extend both on team-friendly deals, but if we can only go with one it has to be Josh. And DG knows that.

Wow, I find it totally acceptable to call CJ elite. The dude is as good as they come. When healthy is defiantly a top DE in this mans league.

The only stat I have off the top of my head is that he is near the top of the list in Sacks over the last 5 years. Throw in his elite level run play. And you have yourself one Elite DE there my friend. Pro-Bowls or not, CJ is one bad cat.

Archived