• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Ron Meeks the reason?

Cyberjag

Seriously, what's the problem with our defense? I've never seen it play this poorly, preseason or not. And spare me "Preseason" crap, you don't suddenly remember how to tackle when the games mean something. I get the lack of scheming, but the lack of fundamentals is really disturbing.

Is it Meeks or something else?

Way too much overpursuit, missing fits and assignments. These guys are running around like headless chickens. NFL defense is a game of efficiency in movement and discipline. There's no one around on a cutback because three defenders have flooded the initial direction of the play when two of them were supposed to stay at home.

It's just people thinking too much. They are often out of position and trying to adjust to new orders. Once their roles become more automatic, their overall play should improve dramatically.

I can appreciate that in the first preseason game, or even the second. They play for real in a week, and they're supposedly professionals. Just how complicated can you make a cover-2 anyway? And if it is that, who's responsibility is it to introduce stuff at a pace the players can absorb without totally sucking?

Archived