• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

As of Today, Remmers and Oher starting tackles

Jeremy Igo

On a side note? Is it harder for OTs to block against 3-4 defensive front vs 4-3 front?  It seems that a majority of the  AFC teams use a 3-4 base. I wonder how much different the blocking assignments are in relation to the two different base defensive fronts? Is one more difficult than the other to block  against? 

On a side note? Is it harder for OTs to block against 3-4 defensive front vs 4-3 front?  It seems that a majority of the  AFC teams use a 3-4 base. I wonder how much different the blocking assignments are in relation to the two different base defensive fronts? Is one more difficult than the other to block  against? 

​It's as much the type of player as it is the scheme.

Facing a 4-3, you're most commonly gonna be going against the more traditional type of defensive end.  He's generally anywhere from 270 to the low 300s in weight, probably quick for his size but will generally be a power rusher.  Depending on the scheme, he might line up head up with you, split wide or even move around (for schemes that use an "elephant' position). The better ones will have a variety of techniques (swim moves, club moves, spin moves, etc).

In a 3-4, you're more likely to face a speed rusher who's coming from the outside.  He'll generally be somewhere in the 250 to 270 range so he's probably less likely to engage you than a 4-3 guy and might be more likely to try and get around you,  Again though, depending on the scheme, he could be coming from a couple of different spots and there's a pretty good chance he's not coming alone, so you might have to make a quick decision as to who's the bigger threat.

This is why teams tend to prefer versatile left tackles.  You want a guy who's big enough to anchor against the 4-3 guy but also athletic enough and smart enough to handle the 3-4 guy and whomever he brings with him.

So ultimately it's not so much that one scheme is harder than the other.  You're just using different skills.

​It's as much the type of player as it is the scheme.

Facing a 4-3, you're most commonly gonna be going against the more traditional type of defensive end.  He's generally anywhere from 270 to the low 300s in weight, probably quick for his size but will generally be a power rusher.  Depending on the scheme, he might line up head up with you, split wide or even move around (for schemes that use an "elephant' position). The better ones will have a variety of techniques (swim moves, club moves, spin moves, etc).

In a 3-4, you're more likely to face a speed rusher who's coming from the outside.  He'll generally be somewhere in the 250 to 270 range so he's probably less likely to engage you than a 4-3 guy and might be more likely to try and get around you,  Again though, depending on the scheme, he could be coming from a couple of different spots and there's a pretty good chance he's not coming alone, so you might have to make a quick decision as to who's the bigger threat.

This is why teams tend to prefer versatile left tackles.  You want a guy who's big enough to anchor against the 4-3 guy but also athletic enough and smart enough to handle the 3-4 guy and whomever he brings with him.

So ultimately it's not so much that one scheme is harder than the other.  You're just using different skills.

Thanks.  You answered more in just a few paragraphs than I could find on the entire www. 

Oher-Remmers-Martin-D. Williams is a lot better than Bell-Chandler-Foucault-G. Williams. At least we have 3/4 guys with NFL OT experience instead of 1/4 like last season.

​And with Bell being that rare guy with NFL OT experience, it was more like a -1/4.

1st team - Oher - Remmers

2nd Team - Martin - Williams

Foucault was so far down the depth chart I had forgotten he was there. 

Don't be shocked if Williams pushes Remmers. 

This is an infinitely better position to be in this offseason compared to last. 

​Don't be shocked if Williams pushes everything in his path

As opposed to 4 guys that don't belong in the NFL? 

so we go from 4 guys that don't belong in the NFL to a former star that 2 teams let walk at the most valuable position in the NFL, a scrap heap all star from last year, a fourth round rookie and Martin?  We have different definitions of "infinite"

Remmers proved a lot last year.  I'm very happy to see him start.  As much as I like Williams, expecting a rookie to come in and start as a fourth rounder is a coin flip.  Oher is an even bigger coin flip, 2 NFL teams let him walk just like we let Bell walk.  Both those teams have similar feelings toward Oher that we have (or "had") toward Bell.  I like our offseason and I get why we did not go after OT's before Williams or early in FA.  

But the lack of planning or developing OT's cost us big time last year, would hate to see the same happen this year when we appear loaded everywhere else to challenge for a deeper playoff push.

I have a gut feeling that Oher is going to be one of the biggest surprises of the season. I just feel like he is going to be so much better than anybody expected. I cannot explain why I feel this way, just pure gut.

​Or Maybe simply because he signed with us right?

Archived