• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stephen Hill focused on making the roster

Jeremy Igo

​People seem to forget about this. 

Every week during the season players have a chance to earn a gameday jersey. 

Norwell did it.

Glanton did it. 

If Hill could not do it, thats on him. 

True, but that was last year and he also came late and had to basically start over and learn the playbook and try ti get reps midseason.  Guys develop and get better.

I am not saying he will suddenly be Megatron, but last year doesn't really matter anymore.  He will have a chance, we kept him around for a reason.  Let's see how he does.

It's now or never for him and he knows it. He was allowed to redshirt last year, needs to make the 53 this year but I have a hard time seeing him displace anyone. Belive he is eligible for the PS again this year but I would be surprised if we let him redshirt another season.

Depth charts usually take in to account the z,y, z position. They don't just rank their receivers and throw them out there.  

What you could see is something like:

X :Benjamin, Ginn 

Y: Funchess, Cotchery, Boykin

Slot: Cotchery, Brown

Or something that takes in to receiver positions and groupings.  Mine was a quick guess at who fits which role but is likely not correct. My reasoning for KB and Ginn at the X is that they need to be able to beat the CB immediately either by speed or physicality. Funchess and Cotchery might be more Z receiver in that they do a little more motion and line up off the ball. I could see Cotchery in the slot as well. I'm not claiming to be correct but hoping to spur a more detailed positional discussion. 

​I was going by playing time. But if we're going by X and Z and slot, here:

X: Benjamin (only player that can power through jams on the line, Funch is unknown but could be his backup here), Hill

Z: Funchess, Brown (he's capable of playing this Z spot, off the line. He lined up there more than in the slot at the end of last year)

Slot: Brown, Funchess (Funchess will line up in different spots and can play every wideout position, I see most of his time at Z, but he will mix in in the slot, and if KB were to go down could take over the X), Ginn (situational deep threat from the slot), Cotchery (vet presence if he isn't cut, don't anticipate him getting much playing time, and if he does it would come in the slot)

A lot will hinge on how Boykin contributes to Special Teams in camp and preseason.  He's not a burner, and he's had 1 decent year with GB.  He's supposed to be a solid ST contributor, hence why we brought him here.  If he doesn't live up to the ST hype, he's gone and someone like Hill could be penciled in instead.  

Based on this...

Philly Brown

GP-13 GS-3 TG-36 Rec-21

He started less, played less games, yet caught the ball more than Cotch. But you don't need states to tell you Philly was just as good if you watched the games.

Brenton Bersin

GP-15 GS-1 TG-20 Rec-13

Once again better at catching the ball while not starting but one game. 

Clearly Cotch is on the bubble with those type number because all you did was prove my point. Cam will have 3 actual WRs this year and there will be two spots left. Philly will take one, the other will be a big fight with a bunch of WRs that are younger and just as talented as Cotch. 

Catch percentage based on number of targets:

​Cotch - 61%

Brown - 58%

Bersin - 65%

As you can see the numbers are pretty similar between the 3 players.  To say Cam had better chemistry with Brown and Bersin is a bit subjective.

Catch percentage based on number of targets:

​Cotch - 61%

Brown - 58%

Bersin - 65%

As you can see the numbers are pretty similar between the 3 players.  To say Cam had better chemistry with Brown and Bersin is a bit subjective.

​Brown and Bersin are both younger and as you have said close to Cotch in catch %. Its also a bit subjective to just slide Cotchery to the 4th wr spot when there are players with upside and have similar numbers. Stats dont tell all and its was clear on the field Cotchey had less chemistry with Cam than Philly did. Besides Philly gives you much more than Cotchery ever will. Its really silly to think he will make the team with our talent level this year.

​Brown and Bersin are both younger and as you have said close to Cotch in catch %. Its also a bit subjective to just slide Cotchery to the 4th wr spot when there are players with upside and have similar numbers. Stats dont tell all and its was clear on the field Cotchey had less chemistry with Cam than Philly did. Besides Philly gives you much more than Cotchery ever will. Its really silly to think he will make the team with our talent level this year.

​I didn't slide Cotchery into any WR spot.  I'm not sure he will even make the team.

I was just curious what you were basing your opinion on.  The stats don't back it up so it seems subjective.

​I didn't slide Cotchery into any WR spot.  I'm not sure he will even make the team.

I was just curious what you were basing your opinion on.  The stats don't back it up so it seems subjective.

Stats don't show chemistry, KB was Cams second favorite reciver but it did not start that way. Olson was by far the receiver that had the most with Cam all year. This year we will see but one thing was clear, Cotchery did not mesh with Cam well.

Man, y'all better place that confidence on Brown and Funchess because Hill is a goner as soon as the preseason comes to a close. You can't fix stone hands/hand-eye coordination issues.

Yeah I hear you, but apparently the Panthers think they can or they wouldn't have picked him up in the first place. Let's hope they are right and can, he would be a nice weapon for Cam to have

Archived