• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stephen Hill focused on making the roster

Jeremy Igo

​Nah he didn't. He was put on the practice squad with intent to spend the year on practice squad.

​Yeah I don't know why people keep spouting off that point. He was a project the moment the panthers signed him. They know and knew he would take time develop. It's his chance now to show what he can do.

Predicted WR Depth Chart:

Kelvin Benjamin

Devin Funchess

Philly Brown

Ted Ginn

Stephen Hill

Jerricho Cotchery

(Joe Webb a cut candidate, Byrd, Lucas to PS, other

s gone)

Depth charts usually take in to account the z,y, z position. They don't just rank their receivers and throw them out there.  

What you could see is something like:

X :Benjamin, Ginn 

Y: Funchess, Cotchery, Boykin

Slot: Cotchery, Brown

Or something that takes in to receiver positions and groupings.  Mine was a quick guess at who fits which role but is likely not correct. My reasoning for KB and Ginn at the X is that they need to be able to beat the CB immediately either by speed or physicality. Funchess and Cotchery might be more Z receiver in that they do a little more motion and line up off the ball. I could see Cotchery in the slot as well. I'm not claiming to be correct but hoping to spur a more detailed positional discussion. 

Hill definitely will be given a large amount of reps in hopes to see how he has progressed with a season in the system.  I completely with the idea that Hill was brought in specifically to be practice squad fodder for the year with the hope that he would show signs of improvement for this year.  There is no receiver who has more to prove in this preseason, at his peak I could see him moving into a #3 speed receiver role but if he didn't improve route running and his hands, he will be cut and he may not be long for the NFL.

Hill had 16 chances last year to get off the practice squad.

​People seem to forget about this. 

Every week during the season players have a chance to earn a gameday jersey. 

Norwell did it.

Glanton did it. 

If Hill could not do it, thats on him. 

Norwell did it.

Glanton did it. 

​This is what makes it even more absurd when people expect Corey Brown not to even make the roster, yet hype up Stephen Hill.

Norwell did it.

Glanton did it. 

​Not the same thing. Hill was cut during the final cuts last year, so he didnt have time to learn the playbook or anything. At least give him a single training camp to prove himself.

What happens this year will be more telling of Hills future with the team or maybe lack there of.

​Based on what?

Rec/Tar

48/78

21/36

13/20

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/car

Based on this...

Philly Brown

GP-13 GS-3 TG-36 Rec-21

He started less, played less games, yet caught the ball more than Cotch. But you don't need states to tell you Philly was just as good if you watched the games.

Brenton Bersin

GP-15 GS-1 TG-20 Rec-13

Once again better at catching the ball while not starting but one game. 

Clearly Cotch is on the bubble with those type number because all you did was prove my point. Cam will have 3 actual WRs this year and there will be two spots left. Philly will take one, the other will be a big fight with a bunch of WRs that are younger and just as talented as Cotch. 

Archived