• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interesting tidbit which gives me more confidence in our GM's drafting

bhughes

Here is a clip from the monday morning qb about Eric Flowers. Sounds like he was drafted way to high to some coaches. It makes me feel a little bit better that we didn't reach to fill a need in th first round like many of the "expert analysts" think we should have done. By the way, it seems to me analysts only think a team does good in the draft if they draft positions of need or draft high or have a lot of picks. Seems like every article I see about which teams doing the best in the draft were mostly teams drafting in the top 10. 

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/05/24/memorial-day-nfl-veterans-tom-brady-deflategate/4/

1. I think the Giants are fooling themselves if they think the pectoral muscle injury suffered by left tackle Will Beatty, which reportedly could keep him out until at least October, won’t have huge ramifications. Beatty had developed himself into a very capable left tackle, and now the Giants are left with either Justin Pugh (who underwhelmed so much at right tackle he had been penciled in at guard ) or Ereck Flowers, the ninth overall pick out of Miami earlier this month. I recently spent the weekend at the Coaches of Offensive Line (COOL) Clinic in Cincinnati, and the reviews on Flowers were not good. “Some of the worst technique I’ve ever seen in a player drafted that high,” said one veteran NFL line coach. “He played for one of the best coaches, Art Kehoe, and his technique was terrible,” said another coach. “That tells me he doesn’t take coaching well. That’s a big problem because all of the recent tackles have struggled making the transition. It now takes them until Year 3. You can thank the spread and the [collective bargaining agreement] for that.”

spread offense is really easy to learn, but limits the level of preparedness in athletes coming into the pro game. i have been saying for years that the nfl is evolving towards more spread type mindsets, but that isn't making the players more technically sound.

also, college rules as they are limit the amount of time that coaches and players have together which is why the game has been shifting that way, but the CBA keeps coaches at the pro level from having as much dirt time with the players as they need to help them improve. development takes longer and there's more to learn coming into the league, but less time to learn what they need.

Gettleman earned my trust last year with his explanation regarding why he didn't reach for guys like Morgan Moses.  He knows what he is doing. 

That being said, I still am wary about what we have. But why add more question marks to question marks?

spread offense is really easy to learn, but limits the level of preparedness in athletes coming into the pro game. i have been saying for years that the nfl is evolving towards more spread type mindsets, but that isn't making the players more technically sound.

also, college rules as they are limit the amount of time that coaches and players have together which is why the game has been shifting that way, but the CBA keeps coaches at the pro level from having as much dirt time with the players as they need to help them improve. development takes longer and there's more to learn coming into the league, but less time to learn what they need.

​I've been saying for a long time that the new CBA rules are also what's caused the rise in serious injuries across the league.

Gettlemen is also finding players that fit this system.  For example, we get rid of Smitty and  bring in a pair of tall WRs.  Gettlemen knows that with a big qb who can run, a running game is the best pass protection, so now we have maulers up front (Williams, Oher, Norwell, Turner) instead of dancing bears (Gross, Chandler, Hangartner, etc)  So, our Tackles are not like an OT in front of Brady or Manning--that is because Cam's running ability freezes a member of the defense and causes them to look run first.

On defense, do you get the idea that Boston and Benwikere were good fits here?  What about Shaq Thompson?  People do not think we had a great offseason because they do not realize what is going on.  Much of this is speculative, but I think the picture is clearing up.

​I've been saying for a long time that the new CBA rules are also what's caused the rise in serious injuries across the league.

Thank goodness for our training staff. We had less strange injuries than other teams last year & I hope that continues. The average youth of our players helps too.

Frigging hate that the CBA prevents nfl players from practicing football. 

That is why there are more injuries than ever. 

It's why olines take so figging long to gel now days, especially if there is an injury to any of your starters. 

Ugggggggggg

Who said this and what does it have to do with our gm?

​Exactly. People have criticized our first two rounders as reaches. Every team will not see every player in the same light. The hope is once they get their hands on them they can help them improve.

Regarding general principles about draft efficiency and the value found in later rounds, I thought this article was interesting:

Tracking NFL Draft Efficiency:  How Contingent is Draft Position to Success?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/2015/05/22/tracking-nfl-draft-efficiency-how-contingent-is-success-to-draft-position/

Among the tidbits:

Over 5 years, -- Undrafted players (14%) were the 3rd most likely group to comprise 2014’s starters…only behind 1st round (30%) and 2nd round (18%) picks.

Over 3 years -- 21% of All-Pros from this period came from either the 3rd, 4th, or 5thround.

It would be interesting to have a breakdown of these numbers from pre-CBA 2011 when rookie contracts were quite expensive versus post CBA 2011 when the economic value playing field across draft position is a bit more evenly distributed.

Who said this and what does it have to do with our gm?Flowers wasn't on the board when we picked so whoever wrote this poo got this from Gettleman? I'm confused...

​No one said this specifically regarding Flowers. Yes he was off the board. I mean that I believe the OT's in this draft were not that strong, yet draft analysts don't like that we didn't "address" our biggest need, the O-line, in the first 2 rounds. This bit of information about what actual NFL people thought about one of the top OT's in the draft makes me feel better we didn't reach for one.

Archived