• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers make a list (not a good one)

Jeremy Igo

Bakhtiari was there in RD4 in 2013. Packers took him after our pick. Maybe Daryl Williams surprises. It's not an exact science. But he should have brought in some vet comp to push Bell last season. Bell got too comfortable.

​I will say I don't disagree that it would have been nice to bring in some comp for Bell, but to be honest, I don't think it would have made any difference.  Anybody we brought in would have sucked just as bad as Bell did, so I don't see the results being any different than they are.

​I will say I don't disagree that it would have been nice to bring in some comp for Bell, but to be honest, I don't think it would have made any difference.  Anybody we brought in would have sucked just as bad as Bell did, so I don't see the results being any different than they are.

And we have taken the same approach this year at LT, albeit with a couple of guys that actually have played the position in the NFL.

You guys can defend Dave all day about his handling of the OT position, that's fine. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. My opinion is that he could have done more to put a band-aid on the position or to serve up more competition . I also think Cam and Shula could do more to help the o-tackles. At this point we are heading into 2015 with at least a few guys that have NFL experience at LT and a young RT rookie that could anchor that side for a decade.

There were vets that could have pushed Bell. Sorry ass Jeremy Trueblood could have pushed Bell for cheap.

​What do you base this on other than name recognition?  Have you seen them play recently, there was a reason such known vets were available midway through the season...and it's not because nobody knew about them and they fell through the cracks.

​What do you base this on other than name recognition?  Have you seen them play recently, there was a reason such known vets were available midway through the season...and it's not because nobody knew about them and they fell through the cracks.

I based it off the list I Googled in between sales calls of available 2014 FAs that rotoworld published. Bell would have been low on that list like he was low on the list this year. I'd rather have a sorry vet with experience backing up sorry Byron Bell than a green Canadian rookie that is two or three years from being ready to start in the CFL per Jim Popp. http://blackandbluereview.com/bbr-morning-final-foucault-post-gettleman-defender/

You guys can defend Dave all day about his handling of the OT position, that's fine. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. My opinion is that he could have done more to put a band-aid on the position or to serve up more competition . I also think Cam and Shula could do more to help the o-tackles. At this point we are heading into 2015 with at least a few guys that have NFL experience at LT and a young RT rookie that could anchor that side for a decade.

Ok, don't know what is going on.  This keeps linking posts I don't want to quote.

Anyway, what I was going to say is that there really is no way to prove or disprove either point.  I get what you are saying, but just disagree that it would have made any difference.  And since I don't know if there's anything more that we can say, I'll just agree to disagree.  Good discussion!!! 

a list of options for DG during his first two seasons as GM at both tackle positions just to name several

A...sorta pricey but well worth every cent 2014 FA J.Veldheer, or for about the same price Rodger Saffold whenever he hit the FA market prior to resigning with the Rams

B...even cheaper 2014 FA Donald Penn

btw..,.I didn't include any 2013 FA because.of our limitedt cap space

C.second round 2014 draft pick Justin Britt

D.mid round 109th pick of the 2013 draft  Bakhitari 

E.latter round draft pick...7th round selection of the 2013 draft Michael Bowie

F.big school 2014 UDFA is this big kid by the name of Cornelius Lucas from the big 12 

G.small school 2013 UDFA and also Edmund Kugbilas teammate Ryan Schrader

H.and iin our own backyard 2014 UDFA James Hurst

I am optimistic about Oher. His first 2 years at Baltimore where he played under Matsko he was very successful. He didn't forget how to play but he could have gone lax in his conditioning and his technique both strengths of Matsko. Add in a toe injury which for a linemen a big toe injury is a big deal. And you have all the hope that Oher sees this as his last chance to redeem himself and rescue his career. That makes him a hungry guy with something to prove. I like that. Guys with chips on their shoulders........

​Damn Ace, you have NO idea what you are talking about.

Gross had already decided that he was retiring the following year (before he took the paycut)

Actually there were quite a few reporters that cover the panthers that said the pay cut played a factor. 

Archived