• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers make a list (not a good one)

Jeremy Igo

​Damn Ace, you have NO idea what you are talking about.

Gross had already decided that he was retiring the following year (before he took the paycut)

​gross turned into a toothpick overnight.  he was done as done can be and knew that he couldn't ask any more of his body.  i mean let's think about this realistically - if he still wanted to play and hit FA that year, he probably would have been one of the better tackles on the market as a former all pro who had just come off a very good season.  he would have gotten some guaranteed money and a starting job.  but none of that happened because he was done playing football.

the people on this site who think that some big mean bully gm stealing his lunch money made him retire from pro football are either morons or pushing an agenda

Since some have argued that Dave scouted and knew about Remmers, how about signing Remmers off the Rams PS last June and keeping Chandler as a backup? How about signing a vet like McKinney to at least push Bell?

Signing Remmers earlier?  That's a good question.  Maybe Dave's scouting didn't indicate that Remmers had the ability to play at the level that he actually did last year, so they saw know urgency in signing him?  And, after they did sign him due to Chandler's injury, he was a pleasant surprise?  I mean, looking at Remmers' past wandering from team to team, was their any indication from previous performance that he would do as well as he did?  Hindsight is crystal clear.  Foresight?  That's a little more tricky.

And, with regard to "McKinney", I haven't read this entire thread, so I'm wondering who "McKinney" is.  I looked at the list of OT on an active roster here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players?type=position&c=NFL&pos=T

And there is no "McKinney".  So, if "McKinney" was an active player last year, he must not have been very good if he's not on an active roster now.  Hell, even BYRON BELL is on an active roster now.

So, what you presented were ideas, yes.  Were they ANSWERS?  No.

Signing Remmers earlier?  That's a good question.  Maybe Dave's scouting didn't indicate that Remmers had the ability to play at the level that he actually did last year, so they saw know urgency in signing him?  And, after they did sign him due to Chandler's injury, he was a pleasant surprise?  I mean, looking at Remmers' past wandering from team to team, was their any indication from previous performance that he would do as well as he did?  Hindsight is crystal clear.  Foresight?  That's a little more tricky.

And, with regard to "McKinney", I haven't read this entire thread, so I'm wondering who "McKinney" is.  I looked at the list of OT on an active roster here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players?type=position&c=NFL&pos=T

And there is no "McKinney".  So, if "McKinney" was an active player last year, he must not have been very good if he's not on an active roster now.  Hell, even BYRON BELL is on an active roster now.

So, what you presented were ideas, yes.  Were they ANSWERS?  No.

Bryant McKinney was listed as a 2014 free agent. Trueblood was as well. Are they better than Bell? Who knows, but at least its competition. Bell was handed the keys to the castle after beating out a converted DT. Regarding Remmers, if I'm a GM staring at Bell and Chandler as my OT options then I am turning over every possible leaf to get some competition in here. I mentioned Remmers because a poster above said that Dave scouted him out and saw potential. It's water under the bridge now. I'm a huge Dave supporter, I just think he could have done more to create competition at the OT spots in 2013 and 2014.

I dont think G-man purposely ignored the position... I just think that he knew that since he had only the draft to work with for his first 3 years that he had to draft BPA's and other high reward players and not bust. It just so turns out that LT didnt have any value when we were at the podium. I seriously think that LT will be our #1 pick next year, and that G-man will trade up if he has to to get us the man we need.

​Really? You're saying that, at no point in the past two drafts, there has been a good LT candidate? You can't say "when we were at the podium" because we were clearly open to moving around enough to draft 5 players with 9 picks. 

I'm not saying Bell is any good, but also, how much does Cam really help his O-line look good? I know Brady and Manning basically make their olines look like all-pros b/c they've got such quick releases and pocket awareness. I just sometimes feel like Cam holds the ball too long when there's nothing there, or doesn't always step up or to the side in the right way to avoid potential sacks. But I'm also sure that getting sacked begets expecting to more sacks therefore causing happy feet and anxiety within the pocket.

I'm not saying Bell is any good, but also, how much does Cam really help his O-line look good? I know Brady and Manning basically make their olines look like all-pros b/c they've got such quick releases and pocket awareness. I just sometimes feel like Cam holds the ball too long when there's nothing there, or doesn't always step up or to the side in the right way to avoid potential sacks. But I'm also sure that getting sacked begets expecting to more sacks therefore causing happy feet and anxiety within the pocket.

Agree, Cam maybe does hold the ball too long at times. Shula could help the oline to by calling some damn bootlegs and moving Cam out of the pocket to throw a little more.

​Really? You're saying that, at no point in the past two drafts, there has been a good LT candidate? You can't say "when we were at the podium" because we were clearly open to moving around enough to draft 5 players with 9 picks. 

​    I'll say it. I'm not sure anyone in this year's draft will be a quality LT, and certainly not right away. Last year, all possible LT's were gone by pick 19. Unless you think we should have drafted Kuandjio or Moses, who are both awful, a G-man knew this. 

Does anyone know if Remmers has the physical attributes necessary to play LT. Looking at our roster he is the best tackle we have. If Remmers can lock down the LT spot we could use a combo of Oher/Williams or Martin at right tackle.

​    I'll say it. I'm not sure anyone in this year's draft will be a quality LT, and certainly not right away. Last year, all possible LT's were gone by pick 19. Unless you think we should have drafted Kuandjio or Moses, who are both awful, a G-man knew this. 

​just for the record there were people losing their minds when we weren't sprinting to the podium to draft moses or kouandjio in 2014

Bakhtiari was there in RD4 in 2013. Packers took him after our pick. Maybe Daryl Williams surprises. It's not an exact science. But he should have brought in some vet comp to push Bell last season. Bell got too comfortable.

​just for the record there were people losing their minds when we weren't sprinting to the podium to draft moses or kouandjio in 2014

​   That just makes me sad. Anyone who thought either one was anything but garbage should be ashamed. 

​Cam does hold onto the ball too long sometimes, but he also bails out our OL a ton too when they get blown up the moment the ball is snapped.

camescape.gif

Bakhtiari was there in RD4 in 2013. Packers took him after our pick. Maybe Daryl Williams surprises. It's not an exact science. But he should have brought in some vet comp to push Bell last season. Bell got too comfortable.

​bakhtiari was the best selection of that entire round most likely.  if there was a redraft today he might go in the first round.  the packers also burned their first round pick on datone jones in that same draft which shows the flukey nature of things.

Hell I don't know, Bryant McKinnie? Eric Winston? Trueblood? A vet LT to at least keep Bell honest would have been nice. We had to start a Canadian project at LT on national TV against the Steelers. That could have gotten Cam killed.

​So, your answer is a bunch of guys who didn't play for anyone in 2014.  They're all free agents right now.  Why isn't anyone banging down their doors begging to sign them to a contract?

Yes, the Farmbeast experiment didn't work, but at least he was an unknown with some possible potential.  The guys you mentioned are all known quantities, and are known to not be any better than what we already had.  Again, there weren't any decent FA options to sign, and no LT worth drafting.  It's not like there's a starting quality LT isle at Target, for fugs sake.

Archived