• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers make a list (not a good one)

Jeremy Igo

I don't see anything wrong with Gross taking the paycut. It helped us go 12-4 and he was thinking about retiring anyways. 

Everyone is acting like Gettleman hates tackles, but everyone on this site knows or should know DJ Humphries would be a Panther if we picked 24th. Maybe Gettleman could have traded up. But what would you do? Give away a pick or gamble he falls to you? Gettleman would have felt like he won the lottery if Humphries fell one more spot. 

You can debate if Humphries is a great prospect. But there is info in the all pro section about how the Panthers felt about him. 

I know that our cap issues have been real, not exaggerated, but it seems like OT is the one area you can't gamble with a bargain bin signing. Then again, Remmers did a great job last season when he was inserted.

​Not impressed by the Bell/Chandler experiment?

​AHHHHH!!!!!! That's it!! I've had it!! I'd rather have a solid OT than KB. There, I said it!! We're a ball control, run the ball team. Stop drafting WR's!!!!!! We've average 20th in passing yards per game during Cam's tenure, and there is a negative relationship between total passing yards and wins during that time. (13th - 6-10), (16th - 7-9), (19th - 7-8-1), (29th - 12-4). 

​He didn't "stumble upon" Remmers.  He identified, scouted, and evaluated a player at a significant position of need for us.  Remmers didn't just fall in his lap, he went out and found him...that's a far cry from stumbling upon.  

​Perhaps "stumbled upon" was a poor choice in words on my part.  But Dave didn't grab him off the Rams practice squad before the season started.  Chandler was injured so we needed a player with experience.  Remmers bounced around for a few years.  He may not have stum,bled upon Remmers, but he is lucky that Remmers came in here and performed the way he did.

4 pages in, and no one has offered up any ideas for what DG could have done differently.  Like every other thread about LT, its just a bunch of baseless finger pointing.  

What would you have liked him to do?  Who would you have wanted him to sign in FA, or draft?

Hell I don't know, Bryant McKinnie? Eric Winston? Trueblood? A vet LT to at least keep Bell honest would have been nice. We had to start a Canadian project at LT on national TV against the Steelers. That could have gotten Cam killed.

I don't disagree with you.

Much of the reasoning here behind signing Oher has been "well at least he's better than Bell". Which isn't obviously saying much.

Some want to argue that LT is not a make or break position for our season, and if we are speaking in terms of just winning the division and stumbling into the playoffs, it might not be. But if the goal is to win a championship, then there is no question that it most certainly is.

Kinda curious what you guy's answers were/are over and above what DG has already done and tried.

​This.  You could tell Bell felt no pressure through his comments.  He actually thought he was doing a good job.  Given the roster situation, it's not like the coaches could really dog his ass and tell him that he fuging sucked.  He truly was the best option we had and that was terrifying.

Quoting on this new forum sucks goat ass by the way

Kinda curious what you guy's answers were/are over and above what DG has already done and tried.

Since some have argued that Dave scouted and knew about Remmers, how about signing Remmers off the Rams PS last June and keeping Chandler as a backup? How about signing a vet like McKinney to at least push Bell?

He brought in zero competition at the RT and LT spot. That was a mistake. Vets were available to bring in as competition. Our salary cap could have handled some OT comp. That is the only mistake Dave has made.

4 pages in, and no one has offered up any ideas for what DG could have done differently.  Like every other thread about LT, its just a bunch of baseless finger pointing.  

What would you have liked him to do?  Who would you have wanted him to sign in FA, or draft?

​It's all opportunity cost. Only time will tell whether drafting an OT would have paid off. Not saying that they necessarily needed to go with a tackle in the first, but the Rams drafted Rob Havenstein in our 2nd round pick after the move. 

Someone save this reply and rub it in my face in a year or two.

Archived